"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE-1A Monophone & Some E-Bay Questions

Started by Slal, March 10, 2014, 11:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slal

Morning everyone,

New here, so if giving an E-bay seller free advertising not cool-- Admin feel free to delete-- no prob.

AE-1A and E-Bay: 321337760966

Too late for me to ask him questions & wait for reply.  Also no returns...  (I work on old tape decks & amps.  For me, 'no returns' on an item that's been restored would be a red flag.  Tech doesn't stand by his own work!)

Shows inside of subset.  Kosher & would've been for this model phone?  (If so will save picture as ref.)

He *doesn't* show what's inside phone.  What would an experienced collector ask sellers? 
1.) photo of dialer & wiring?
2.) bake-lite re-blackened or painted?  (Assume that would blow it as collectable.)
3.) 'Correct' hand set?

Any other tips on what to look for or ask sellers greatly appreciated. 

Also, is there a kind of 'telephone bible' or reference book for phones?  That would *really* help.

thx

--Bruce

rdelius

Looks like metal cradle and shell most likely repainted.dont see anything funny about it except no induction coil or newer network in the box.Box is AE but most likely was painted black.

poplar1

The label in the bell box shows that it was originally used with a 11-A Monophone, not a 1-A. The 11-A has an induction coil receiver; so none is needed in the subset when used with that model.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

stub

Slal,
         The box is used as a ringer only in this application. AS David stated the phone is a AE-11 A.   
         Look at the link reply 1 and you can download some of the AE Catalogs -  http://tinyurl.com/4yutxg6 
                                                                                                                                                                    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

G-Man

Here are the 5 MB and full-blown 128 MB full-definition versions of the Automatic Electric 4055 catalog:

AECO Catalog 4055-D 1944 Ocr R 5 MB
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/11195-aeco-catalog-4055-d-1944-ocr-r
AECO Catalog 4055-D 1944 128 MB
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/11196-aeco-catalog-4055-d-1944

Dial Monophone Desk Sets, Types I-A and II-A
These two Monophones have been the most popular of all our handset
types, and have been more extensively used than any other style,
since they meet every modern requirement for both business and resi·
dential use.

The Type I-A desk stand requires a ringer box with a special circuit.
The Type ll·A desk stand is equipped with an induction-coil receiver,
and can be used with any conventional ringer box which contains a
1 mf. or 2 mf. condenser.
When ordering, if metal instead of molded
ringer box is desired, please so specify. Also, if brass base and zinc
alloy cradle are preferred, they must be specified.

stub

Sal,
       I found this in the 4055 D catalog, 1944, on pg. 13. The  AE Bulletin  1015 , 1929, pg 11or 12 shows the same diagram for the AE 11 A.    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Slal

You guys are good!  Illustration on P. 6 of cat 4055 has them looking the same.

Didn't see any part numbers on the phone or hand unit.  Looking up Pat # wasn't very helpful.  Simply states it was granted on 12-10-29.

So-- on the phone & not the subset-- how did you spot that it was an 11-A & not a 1-A? 

Link to what assume is older one-- if based on "Patents Pending"

www_dot_oldphoneman.com/images/AE1a2.jpg

couple of completed bay listings with several patents on them: 

Prices seem all over the place. 

Will definitely have to do my homework here.

thx

--Bruce

stub

Bruce,
          The only way to tell is to see the insides. It could still be a toss up either way. The box diagram indicates AE 11 A but without looking inside the phone for the 205 ohm wire wound resistor it could still be a AE 1 A because of reply 5, you could order the 1A with an induction coil receiver at least in 1944. It probably cost less for the induction coil receiver than the full subset with the induction coil , ringer and capacitor in it. Just a guess.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Slal

Quote from: stub on March 10, 2014, 05:39:15 PM
Bruce,
          The only way to tell is to see the insides. It could still be a toss up either way. The box diagram indicates AE 11 A but without looking inside the phone for the 205 ohm wire wound resistor it could still be a AE 1 A because of reply 5, you could order the 1A with an induction coil receiver at least in 1944. It probably cost less for the induction coil receiver than the full subset with the induction coil , ringer and capacitor in it. Just a guess.  stub

Cool.  So looking at plate on top of phone won't really tell me anything.  Ask sellers about part numbers or look for pictures of 'guts' as it were. 

Lot of variables to learn here.  This is gonna be fun!  : )

--Bruce 

stub

Bruce,
            The 1st pic is a AE 11A ( term. 8 has the wire wound 205 ohm resistor and will use the induction coil receiver)
             The AE 1 A  won't have the resistor and will use the regular type 38 handset 2nd pic.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Slal

Thanks for the photos.  Seeing the resistor coil on #8 helps.  Also found a wiring diagram that shows 3 connections on the receiver for an AE 11-A. 

Some listings show the bottom of dialer; some don't.  Some show photos of the transmitter or receiver.  From the front, will the receiver on an 11 look different from a model 1?

Meanwhile, still following auctions.

1.) item 321337760966 went for $305-- fair market value for phone & subset?

2.) Unrestored AE-1A (291098859750) went for $178.56 - again- that's around fair market value?

3.) A subset (200955940309) that looks to have been restored has a BIN price of $125.  He's dreaming or that's about how much I should expect to pay?

4.) Didn't think unrestored AE-11A (301116341052) got any takers at all-- not even a 99 cent snipe.  But from another topic, a member thought to check bid history.   Was up to $153 before seller cancelled auction with "item lost or broken" explanation.   

Too early to do any math.  (N=4)  Ha!  But safe to say fair market value for the phones seems to be around $150-$180 & subsets are a little over $100?

thx

--Bruce

poplar1

(1) This guy is selling many phones from his collection of what he calls museum quality phones. In any case, "restored" phones do command a premium on Ebay.
(2) This is a No. 1, not a 1A--notice the tall cradle. It's numbered 1 because it was the first "Monophone"--or combined transmitter and receiver--phone that AE made (c. 1925). These usually bring a lot more than the 1As.
(3) Another seller who commands high prices because of the "restoration" factor.
(4) Because it is mahogany and not black, it's impossible to know how high this one may have gone.

By the way, Automatic Electric phones were not often used in the Bell System, since AT&T owned 100% of Western Electric.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Slal

Well nothing says I *have* to get monophone.  You're saying WE might be better option because if they made more f them, then more common might mean lower market values & ability to find the correct parts?

BTW: Thanks for being patient with me guys.  If I ask a question that's been stickied or already asked, feel free to just tell me-- "been there - done that here.  You need to do your homework!"

thx

--Bruce