News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 307

Started by Doug Rose, January 21, 2017, 11:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I am in the dungeon.....going through my "next" pile and came across this really nice manual 307. Cloth cords dates match 4/48. It is covered with paint from a really sloppy painter. I tried to bring dt to it through the line cord and directly....no go. Handset works perfect.  Insulation is coming off on the line cord. Is this even worth the trouble? I know these used to be a hot phone for the collector, BUT...Doug
Kidphone

oldguy

4/9/48 is my birthday, could be my birthday phone, HA HA.
Gary

trainman

307s are Local battery talking  Common Battery Signalling. LBTCBS.

Put a 1.5 v battery between the blue and black line cords.

The local battery circuits put more voltage on the line than the common battery. these were used on long loops where the voltage drop from the local battery wasnt as much as if they had used common battery phones.  the dc ws still used to  activate the switches in the central office.

these phones also make great in house intercoms and you can use  magneto to ring the ringer. i know. i had a few 307s wired up in my house like that.

Im interested in the phone if you dont want it.

if you have Ralph Meyers book Old Time Telephones you can see the section on the 307s in his book.

Doug Rose

If anyone is interested PM me an offer. It retains a nice shine to the thermoplastic and the Bakelite F1. Cloth cords are in really nice shape, but the line cord is losing some insulation.. No chips or cracks....just plenty of paint!!  :P ....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

What would you recommend to remove the paint? Usually I use goo be gone, but this is just too much. I have some brake fluid and easy off oven cleaner. My only concern is the thermoplastic is so good underneath the paint and I do not want to "dull" it.....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Stan S

Doug
VERY HOT WATER! As hot as you can stand holding the housing under the faucet. Use your finger nails and just keep scraping at the paint drops. They will eventually soften and come off.
Stan S.

Doug Rose

thanks Stan....I will give it a shot....I do appreciate your help....Doug
Kidphone

SUnset2

I often use rubbing compound, removes the speckles and polishes the plastic at the same time.  Though that one has a lot of speckles.  If it's latex paint, isopropyl alcohol should soften it.

Babybearjs

Doug, this model is being quite available lately.... I have about 4 of the 307's and I put dials on all 4. your looks really nice and I encourage you to keep it, unless you have the same problem I do....too many of the same kind.... using the hot water works, and I also found that WD-40 helps to with getting the paint off.... good luck in selling it if you need to.... I'd say the starting price should be about $50.00.... totally restored, $200.00 (w/Dial) like I'vce said before, this is one of the most nicest of the 300 series WE made....so versatile...
John

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Doug Rose

I didn't receive any replies, so it is off to eBay. I just didn't have it in me to try to bring it to its past glory and the last thing I need is another 302. According to the experts, I am listing this a great price....Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/292026603020?
Kidphone