News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Really Close Dates on a WE 302

Started by Doug Rose, February 20, 2017, 09:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Shell is dated 10 14 47, base and ringer are dated 10 47 and the coil is dated IV47 fourth quarter 1947. Transmitter is dated 10 47 and the receiver is dated 10 16 47. I have never seen a phone with the with dates this close, I can't see the date on the dial as it is covered by the gasket but I don't think this was ever touched.

I put on the porcelain dial plate and the heavy steel finger wheel as both were missing on this beauty...Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Was refurbished between 1949 and 1951 with H3AD handset cord.

Like the base, the finger wheel should most likely be from Al for that manufacturing date.

poplar1

Quote from: unbeldi on February 20, 2017, 10:41:23 AM
Was refurbished between 1949 and 1951 with H3AD handset cord.

Like the base, the finger wheel should most likely be from Al for that manufacturing date.

It's true that the original cords would have been brown fabric covered H3C and D3AL.
However, the cord is dated "5x" so it would not have been installed in 1949. It's also possible that the handset cord was replaced in the field (or later) since there are no other test dates or refurb dates, or even varying dates on the parts.

Also, are you sure it is an H3AD cord and not an H3AG?  Perhaps  Doug can decipher the markings on the restraint--type and date. The H3AG has a molded grommet where the cord enters the handset. The H3AD does not, but the entire cord is thicker.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

5 IV
H3AG      on restraint

Dial is 47, cannot make out month. One of those gaskets that become a hard plastic and only chip
Kidphone

poplar1

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 20, 2017, 01:57:26 PM
5 IV
H3AG      on restraint

Dial is 47, cannot make out month. One of those gaskets that become a hard plastic and only chip

Doug, there should be another large number on the right side of the "5." 5 is the decade and the other number is the year.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

unbeldi

I see now that the cord was cut off in the picture at just the crucial point.

1953 would indeed be an H3AG, the thick ones were gone by then.