News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

got a new phone..... after cleaning and re-wiring

Started by Babybearjs, April 12, 2018, 07:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

FINALLY! got the damned thing wired, tested and now working... had to take almost all of the plugs off the key strips. only have the first 5 on there... still have to do some work on this... forgot to wire the CID line and want to add the interface for my autodialer...But it works! dials out and rings in... even added a cut-out switch for the ringer... man was this a pain to work on.... had to remove the amphenol connectors inside and spade all the wires, then I had to reassemble the unit and add the 2 10 circuit terminal blocks to get the thing back up and running... had a heck of a time with the a-lead circuit, and the TT dial.... too much going on here to think.... working on the phone, and on my computer, cleaning up mice trailings... and all kinds of stuff like that... man am I beat!
John

kleenax

Quote from: Babybearjs on April 12, 2018, 07:26:05 AM
FINALLY! got the darned thing wired, tested and now working... had to take almost all of the plugs off the key strips. only have the first 5 on there... still have to do some work on this... forgot to wire the CID line and want to add the interface for my autodialer...But it works! dials out and rings in... even added a cut-out switch for the ringer... man was this a pain to work on.... had to remove the amphenol connectors inside and spade all the wires, then I had to reassemble the unit and add the 2 10 circuit terminal blocks to get the thing back up and running... had a heck of a time with the a-lead circuit, and the TT dial.... too much going on here to think.... working on the phone, and on my computer, cleaning up mice trailings... and all kinds of stuff like that... man am I beat!
darn!   Looks like you were doing hair-plug transplants there!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

twocvbloke

Makes my eye twitch with anxiety seeing all those wires....................  :o

kleenax

Quote from: kleenax on April 12, 2018, 07:56:00 AM
darn!   Looks like you were doing hair-plug transplants there!
darn "auto correct" ;-)
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

RB

I am with the Bloke! WTFish,  man??? :o
Nice turn out, but, woah. I need a beer just from lookin at all those wires.
Commendable work there for sure.

Babybearjs

here are some more pictures:
John

JorgeAmely

Hats off to you sir. It looks like the patient survived the surgery.
Jorge

Babybearjs

only to go back into surgery.... trying to figure out how to mount the terminal strips... I think I'm going to have to use the terminal strips in groups of 4 wire.... the chinch brand are stackable but I'm also looking at the euro-style terminal strips. this would require that I cut off the end of each spade and only have a brass stub that will go into the terminal strip. very frustrating when there are so many wires and you don't want any shorts... plus I'm adding a 2 wire modular cord for my caller ID unit and a 8 wire cord for my auto dialer. and then, there's the 2 wires for my ringer cut-off switch.... I've got some more pictures of the tear-down and reassembly which I will post later... I hate it when I don't have the right parts when I'm trying to customize a phone.... I also am probably going to have to go to the auto parts store... I need some more nylon inserts for the phone and I though I had some in with my computer parts, but they got used in another project! go figure.... my roommate hates it when I work on these... "playing with his phones again"......
John

Babybearjs

after 2 days of fighting with the TT dial circuit.....Finally got the darn thing working again...still in the test mode, but alive! enclosed are some more pictures of what I've been playing with.... Because ITT's engineers thought it funny to make a terminal board that had zero clearance.... I had to splice together the line wires together from both key strips and daisy chained all the AG wires together so I only have 1 wire to attach, not 19. I removed the chaining switch plug and put it away.... added a modular cord for my CID (on Line 1 only) and finally got the auto dialer cord installed.... My mind has been awful tired lately.... trying to work on this phone and 2 computers at the same time is quite exhausting.....especially when thing go wrong.... anyway, enjoy the pictures....
John

Babybearjs

well....its still alive and kicking....Finally got the euro style barrier strips and cobbled the thing back together.... only to discover I had the dial wired wrong and the polarity wrong on some lines. corrected that and then was able to dial out. stupid me.... again, connected the A-Lead to the wrong terminal so when you push a line button when the phone is hung up, the station light goes on....Uhg! I must have been extremely tired! anyway here are some more pictures of this mess! I ordered some 4-40 machine screws to mount the barrier strips to the chassis, still not here.... so this setup is temporary....the caller ID works though...... has to disconnect the autodialer for now...   oh yeh, and the phone rings! yeh!!!
John

twocvbloke

It's funny, I've moved away from using chocolate blocks (named as such because they used to come in a chocolate-brown colour) where I can to connect things since I discovered the tool-less joy of wire nuts...  ;D

Babybearjs

You use Wire Nuts in the UK?? I though you always used the barrier strips to make connections.... or at least use the WAGO Connectors....
John

twocvbloke

I've been using them, not sure about other people, they just make a simple wiring job simpler in my opinion, and so long as they're fitted properly, they're quite safe... :)

19and41

This is very interesting.  I'm glad to see what goes on behind getting these sets functioning.  You must love them a great deal to stay on track with such a repair/restore job.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Babybearjs

its been fun... the tear-down and repair was easy...the testing was a bug, and now its finally working.... got the auto-dialer plugged in and working... needs a new back-up battery... and I used 1 of the unused buttons as a indicator light for the auto-dialer as the unit has a SPDT switch in it for accessories...(speaker phone I think) all I have to do is get the 4-40 screws I ordered and mount the terminal strips inside the phone and repair the re-call key... I'm also going to use some of the extra buttons for various indictor lamps from my KSU.... I even have a 40 button message waiting console that has the same size key strip in it (10 Button) that I can switch out if I want to.... (update: 04/18) finally got the screws, and was able to mount the terminal strips where the old Amphenol connectors were. could only mount 2- 10 position strips. 1 on top and 1 underneath... then the rest of the strips got taped down in the open areas of the base.... (double sided tape) and the units being reassembled tonight... Had to sacrifice the auto dialer though.... the jack unit fell and the case shattered... I'm going to see if a RJ31X jack will substitute....
John