News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The sound behind a 7C and 7D dial

Started by WesternElectricBen, June 24, 2013, 05:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

You know how when you get a phone with a 7c or 7 dial it sounds really raspy? How do you get rid of that sound or is it just part of the dial. Why I ask that is because I have one phone where the 7c or 7d is really smooth and it just has a nice hum?

I assume the sound because of a area that missed lubercation... And for some reason when I adjust the dial when on a table it goes fast upside down but when I set it on the phone its still pretty slow? Any answer?

Thanks,
Ben

Phonesrfun

#7 dials are notoriously noisy.  It's the nature of the gear train and the design of the dial.  Some are marginally quieter than others, but over all they are all noisier than their AE counterparts.  I have also found that the plastic dust cover on the back can resonate some of the noise.  You might try it without the cover.  Certainly, a properly cleaned and lubed dial will sound better than a dirty sluggish one.
-Bill G

WesternElectricBen

Yea, I always lucubrate it, I'm going to try taking it apart and using a tooth brush to clean between the notches in the gears...

Ben

poplar1

Isn't there an adjustment on the back of the dial that moves the entire gear assembly back and forth? ISTR that there is an oversized hole which when a screw is loosened, you can adjust the position of the gears.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: poplar1 on June 26, 2013, 05:09:27 PM
Isn't there an adjustment on the back of the dial that moves the entire gear assembly back and forth? ISTR that there is an oversized hole which when a screw is loosened, you can adjust the position of the gears.

Yes, the assembly can be moved around quite a bit by loosening the screws.

Larry

Phonesrfun

It has been my experience that even after moving the assembly within that oversized hole for that "sweet spot", the dials still tend to be relatively noisy.  My biggest complaint with older WE dials.
-Bill G

poplar1

Quote from: Phonesrfun on June 26, 2013, 09:46:29 PM

It has been my experience that even after moving the assembly within that oversized hole for that "sweet spot", the dials still tend to be relatively noisy.  My biggest complaint with older WE dials.

I don't mind the noise made by a 2- or 4-type WE dial.

My father, who was a musician, said he was glad when they got the clicks out after 1937 (when they switched from 4H to 5H). So why they went backwards to produce the noisy 7-type I don't understand.

WesternElectricBen

The dial is just a bit quieter after bein disassembled. Though I really like the 5H dial.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on June 26, 2013, 05:23:40 PM

Yes, the assembly can be moved around quite a bit by loosening the screws.

Larry

Weird, kind of like a carburetor.... So If I adjust that it will be quieter or just move away?

Thanks,
Ben

poplar1

See pages 15-18 starting with paragraph 3.28. "Adjustments to prevent mechanical noise, 6- and 7-type dials."

BSP 501-162-100 Issue 7 Feb. 1968

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/2372-501-162-100-tl

WesternElectricBen

Thank you for that link, I now understand..

Ben