News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Beautiful Red AE 40

Started by Doug Rose, October 18, 2018, 05:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

The phone was pretty much gutted. Still had a nice working SL ringer which I tested and removed. Coil had paint on it. The paint in the back was not like the front and has large a drip. I glued it together best I could. Still see the line, but it is in the back.

I know I have a nice real read cord and a chrome carry handle, but I cannot find them at the moment. The handset cord is a switchboard cable for now, and matches really well.

It is a keeper as a display phone only. For free, it is nice. If I have to give it up to the USPS I will decide then. Sitting in my room, from the distance of a chair it looks great. Dial card was buckled in pics and has been fixed,

Not really sure how I feel about it.  :-\ ...Doug

Kidphone

Pourme

~

I do love red shiny phones, this one is no exception. Beautiful display piece. Too bad it suffered the damage.

It appears you have made the best of a difficult situation, I hope you are able to keep it for your troubles!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Doug Rose

Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: Doug Rose on October 20, 2018, 10:08:11 AM
...If I have to give it up to the USPS I will decide then...

So USPS can ask the buyer for the item under dispute to be sent to them if a claim is put in by a seller? Do they send a free postage label in order for it to be sent to them or come and collect it? What do they do with the item once they have dealt with the claim? Are you in the loop of the claim? And how long will you have to wait before you find out?

What a palava! Thank goodness you received a refund. Such a shame. I hope you get to keep it too.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

AE_Collector

It took quite a hit. I have seen them break like that as well as from the dial hole down to the base in the front. Related to the screws through the base to the cover at the front and back. Too bad....

Terry

Doug Rose

Quote from: FABphones on October 20, 2018, 11:27:42 AM
So USPS can ask the buyer for the item under dispute to be sent to them if a claim is put in by a seller? Do they send a free postage label in order for it to be sent to them or come and collect it? What do they do with the item once they have dealt with the claim? Are you in the loop of the claim? And how long will you have to wait before you find out?

What a palava! Thank goodness you received a refund. Such a shame. I hope you get to keep it too.

I have only once had to give back the phone. Once its gone its gone. I think it might go back to the seller. Usually USPS just refunds and that is that.  We have sold many AE40s without any issue. As long as it is tight in the box and does not move. I have seen them broken, but never like this.

I know you and Terry have both seen breaks like this. As John stated it is just too heavy to glue properly. It is in the back and tough to spot unless you are looking for it.

It looks great from my seat....I would like to keep it....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

~

One detail that is at issue, newspaper. I always request the use of bubble wrap. Newspaper doesn't retain the firmness and support needed to continue to protect the phone during the trip. Had this phone been packed with bubble wrap on all four sides and isolated from the handset (as I know it was) I don't think it would have suffered the damage. Just my thoughts.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Doug Rose

It was wrapped in bubble, handset wrapped in bubble away from phone as I had asked. BUT..without a lot of newspaper it slid around in the box and was damaged. If it was secure it would have survived the drop.

We had been selling for almost 20 years on eBay until February of this year. Sold a lot of phones and this is how we packed. Priority flat boxes are like tanks. The issue was the phone moved around in the box....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

USPS refunded the seller so I get to keep the damaged AE 40. Displays great from the front.

I can't decide which is better,,,,free with the damage in the back that you cannot see from the front displayed on a shelf or $50 if it was packed correctly. Its only a painted phone....but is sure looks nice...Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Sure seems to me like like there should be more verification of packaging quality before seller/shipper gets a refund from USPS.

Terry

Doug Rose

Terry...I agree....this was sliding around in the box as I opened it. I saw the crack through the single sheet of bubble. I know it's a painted phone, but it looks so good. Seller was mad at me when I told her it was not a USPS issue. USPS never asked me...I would have told them..

Funny thing is I remember medium priority flat boxes at $7.70. This is one reason why they continue to rise. You can't blame the USPS when you use a battered used med priority box with little packing....yet they paid....Doug
Kidphone