News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Question about proper operation of the dial on a WE 500

Started by MaximRecoil, August 04, 2012, 09:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaximRecoil

I got another 500 yesterday, and when you dial the first number, it doesn't attenuate the dial tone like my other 500 and my two 554s do. The phone dials numbers properly, but I'm just wondering why it is like that. I've come across other rotary phones in the past (when they were still common) that did the same thing. It always seemed strange to me to hear the dial tone loud and clear while dialing the first number (the dial tone breaks of course when you release the dial to let it travel back to its starting position).

Is my phone miswired or is it just the way it was made? It is newer than my other rotary phones.

poplar1

2 white wires from dial go to the same screws (R and GN)  that the two white (or green and white if modular) receiver wires go to. If connected properly, then look at contacts on back of dial to make sure they are closing together while dial is turned.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: poplar1 on August 04, 2012, 10:12:03 AM
2 white wires from dial go to the same screws (R and GN)  that the two white (or green and white if modular) receiver wires go to. If connected properly, then look at contacts on back of dial to make sure they are closing together while dial is turned.

The wires were where they were supposed to be, but the leaf switch for the pair of white wires was doing nothing as the dial was turned (it remained open). I rebent the leaf so it is pressed up against the plastic stop when the dial is at rest, and closes when the stop moves away as the dial is turned, and that fixed the issue. Thanks for the help.