News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Painting a WE 51 AL

Started by mikeydo23, January 07, 2012, 08:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeydo23

I was thinking of going with either a semi gloss enamel or high gloss enamel.  Anybody have any recommendations?  And do you think I should bake it?  The parts are all brass, but you all probably knew that. Thanks!

bingster

I think the semi-gloss is probably closer to the original, but it's really a matter of personal preference at this point.  Whatever you use though, I'd definitely bake it. Especially since it's brass, which is a material which tends to dislike paint to begin with.

I'm interested in watching your progress, as I have a stripped non-dial candlestick that needs it's paint put back on.
= DARRIN =

TelePlay

There was a 3 page thread out there from last August I was fortunate to quickly find for you.

Check out this paint job on the 202 at this link and also all of the other comments on this posted thread to get a lot of good ideas about different ways of painting a phone.

http://tinyurl.com/7lfavhj

I've used the semi-gloss and it does come out between semi and gloss just as this phone looks.

What's the best way? Many. You'll get a lot if you ask that question.

GG

How'bout if you want to send it out to get done professionally? 

What's the toughest coating that can be applied to pressed steel (GPO 150) and brass (GPO receiver shell, and AE 21 desk stand)?  Would that be powder coating or something else?   And are the results of those processes sufficiently tougher than a DIY baked-on finish as to justify the cost? 

twocvbloke

I'd say get it powder coated professionally, when you think that metal vacuum cleaners which are powder coated have to put up with so much abuse in comparison to a phone, powder coat painting is both tough and coats the metal evenly, and of course is baked on so will stick and last for many a decade... :)

GG

Good point!  I hadn't thought of that because my vacuum, even though it's a 40-something-year-old antique in its own right, is made of some kind of fiberglass shell on the bottom and plastic upper housing.  (And has a 2-speed switch enabling a lower-wattage setting for routine cleaning when high power isn't needed: never miss an opportunity to conserve energy!:-)

There are apparently dozens of different coating materials used in powder coating, so presumably the shop that does the deed should know which are the most damage resistant.  Though, any recommendations would be useful.

twocvbloke

One of my vacuums, a Hoover Junior 1334, very early 60's model I think, has a metal shell which is powder coated, and it's had 50 years of abuse, but the paint, albeit chipped and scratched where it's hit furniture, is still stuck in place, could do with repainting but I'm not that bothered...  :D

And I'm guessing you have either a Singer or a Hoover Convertible, possibly a Eureka... :D

But anyway, yeah, a professional powder coating co. will have all the knowledge of what to apply and how to fix it on the pictured phone, so definitely worth looking into... :)

GG

Actually it's a Sears Kenmore, model 116-4695 canister type (you got me curious so I looked).  Bottom half is light brown, top half is off-white.  Has replacement hose, tubes (stainless steel or chromed metal), and attachments.  Got it @ 20 years ago for cheap at a second-hand shop.  Originally had a tray mounted on top for the attachments, but the tray was cracked & chipped so I removed it and inserted plastic plugs into the screw holes to keep the housing airtight. 

They still make bags for this, and it does a good job with relatively low power consumption, so I see no reason to replace it any time soon.  Somebody should start manufacturing high-filtration cloth bags for these old canister cleaners, that can be emptied and washed and reused indefinitely. 

twocvbloke

Ah, I don't know anything about Sears-Kenmore brand stuff, the only Sears thing I have is a Sears-Craftsman toolset for my Kirby vacuette (same vac,different brand & colours)... :D

If you want high-filtration cloth bags, just buy some modern brand's bags, take the bag collar off your current lot and glue it onto the better bags, and hey presto, high-filtration in a vintage vac... ;D

Kind of straying off topic now methinks... :D

mikeydo23

I gave liquid spray paint a couple of tries (okay, more than a couple), and didn't get the look I was hoping for.  So, I gave in and sent the parts to be powder coated. 
I'll post pictures as soon as I get the finished pieces back!