News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Etsy Seller has hit a New Low

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, September 18, 2015, 10:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I think this seller has run out of ideas of things to sell...

...so they decided to sell London Phone Booth paint chips!! I don't care how arty-fartsy you are, who would use a cup full of paint chips?? At least they're authentic! ::)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/244094437
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

andre_janew

There may be some truth to what you are saying, yet I have this feeling that he will be laughing all the way to the bank to deposit his money!

Great, just what unsuspecting buyer's need. The handing of toxic lead paint chips.  >:(

LarryInMichigan

I should have saved all of the old filth that I cleaned off of old phones over the years and sold it :D.

Larry

twocvbloke

London? Has Woking in Surrey outside of the M25 (the motorway that basically defines the border round the various towns and districts that form "london") been moved then? First I've heard about it... ???

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Fordite? That's also known as ferrous oxide isn't it?  ;D

19and41

They have plenty of that up north where they like their Fords well salted.  This is a "gem" that was chisled from the walls of spray painting areas of auto assembly plants.
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

I read something a while back about this stuff. It was not call Fordite but it was the same stuff, buildup of layers and layers of car paint. There were some pretty big pieces and some really interesting color combinations. I cannot recall when or where I saw it but it was pretty interesting stuff!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

They also call it Detroit agate.  With electrostatic coating for cars these days it is not being formed anymore, apparently.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Greg G.

Quote from: 19and41 on September 18, 2015, 06:52:59 PM
They have plenty of that up north where they like their Fords well salted.  This is a "gem" that was chisled from the walls of spray painting areas of auto assembly plants.

Never heard of it, so I googled it, interesting stuff:  http://www.fordite.com/History.html

QuoteFordite History

Fordite, also known as Motor Agate, is a unique automotive enamel material with an interesting history. The original layered automotive paint slag "rough" was made incidentally, years ago, by the now extinct practice of hand spray-painting multiples of production cars in big automotive factories.

The oversprayed paint in the painting bays gradually built up on the tracks and skids that the car frames were painted on. Over time, many colorful layers built up there. These layers were hardened repeatedly in the ovens that the car bodies went into to cure the paint. Some of these deeper layers were even baked 100 times.

Eventually, the paint build-up would become obstructing, or too thick and heavy, and had to be removed. As the story goes, some crafty workers with an eye for beauty realized that this unique byproduct was worth salvaging. It was super-cured, patterned like psychedelic agate, and could be cut and polished with relative ease!

Wow! "RECYCLE IT!" seemed to be the resounding sentiment. And so it was...

As word got around about this remarkable material, it's been said that rock hounds started showing up at auto factories, offering to help remove that problematic paint!

Sadly, the techniques that produced this great rough years ago, are no longer in practice. Cars are now painted by way of an electrostatic process that essentially magnetizes the enamels to the car bodies. This leaves little, or no overspray.

The old factory methods that created this incredible material are long gone.

The Fordite "mines" are dry, so get some while you still can!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

compubit

Darn!

I just got back from the UK and could have collected some paint chips from several of the booths i saw along the way. (Will post some phone-related pictures from the trip later).

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!