"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GTE 881 Speakerphone

Started by WesternElectricBen, January 06, 2013, 05:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: G-Man on January 06, 2013, 08:01:34 PM
Also, there are three cords shown in the second set of photos coming out of the set. 

One of those cords may be used in conjunction with the power adapter that is partially shown in the first set of photos.

The last cord may have been used in conjunction with the two  toggle-switches that were hacked into the faceplate.

Cord 1: to phone jack
Cord 2: to ringer equivalencer
Cord 3: to power source

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 06, 2013, 08:05:12 PM
We used to love all of the AE/GTE phones with faceplates as it was so simple to put power fail buttons into them for PABX's without having to drill the case etc. Now as phone collectors we curse it but I guess a hole in the faceplate is still better than a hole in the case elsewhere.

Terry

In your honest opinion, is it worth anything to a collector? Or better, if it wasn't all hacked up is it worth anything to a collector?
Ben

AE_Collector

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on January 06, 2013, 08:17:32 PM
Yes, it is a power supply which seems to just light the on and off switches.
Ben

And supply power to work the speakerphone.

I neglected to mention that there is an 882 available as well which looks the same but has an additional second row of keys with a Hold and 9 line keys.  I could never figure out why they didn't make a smaller Key Set as well by using a single 10 button keystrip for the 4 Speakerphone functions and then use the remaining 6 keys on the keystrip as a Hold and 5 line keys.

AE collectors such as myself might like to have at least one of these phones but they are to new for us to want to pay more than $10 or $20 tops for them. I have a couple of 881's already but don't think that I have an 882 yet. Someone on ebaY has been trying to sell one for a couple hundred dollars for months and months now.....

Terry

G-Man

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on January 06, 2013, 08:19:38 PM
Quote from: G-Man on January 06, 2013, 08:01:34 PM
Also, there are three cords shown in the second set of photos coming out of the set. 

One of those cords may be used in conjunction with the power adapter that is partially shown in the first set of photos.

The last cord may have been used in conjunction with the two  toggle-switches that were hacked into the faceplate.

I'm not familiar with an equivalencer, what is its function?

AE_Collector

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on January 06, 2013, 08:19:38 PM

So dial tone on the centre two pins of the cord that you showed (?), plug it in and see what happens!

Terry

stub

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the GTE 881 Touch call Speakerphone? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks.
    Terry ,
              Here's another speakerphone, the GTE 883 .   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Terry,
         Here's the cord on my 881 . I have black , blue and white , which 2 did AE use to power the speaker and or lamps? Do you know the voltage on the power supply? Someone tried to use a WE Trans 2012 A power supply. It works but has a capacitor bad somewhere as it has loud AC hum in the speaker.      stub

Ben,
       Nice phone, could you post a pic of the power supply information ?  Thanks,   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Almost for certain the power would be on white and blue. I will check to see what I can determine about voltage but suspect it would be more like 18vac so a 2012B rather than 2012A. I can figure this out for you.

Terry

stub

Terry,
          I found a  power supply !! Works great!! Thanks,  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

White and Blue leads Stub? That would be the third pair which leaves the black and yellow for A & A1 Key System control.

Terry

stub

Terry,
         Yes on the Blue and White. I only have black left over? The yellow is connected to the Green line in. I didn't even think to test the ringer! Oh well , I guess I'm getting a little old.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

My guess would be that you don't neet to connect the yellow with green. These are too new for party line ringer set ups. I will bet that when off hook (or in use) you see a short between yellow and black and they will be open when on hook (not in use). This allows the phone to work on a 10A2 (same as 1A2 type except AE's vesion) system properly.

Terry