News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old WE 7C dial ???

Started by Vern P, October 07, 2018, 01:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vern P

Found an early 7C dial today, don't remember seeing this before (but I don't remember it all any way).  There was no date, the odd thing was the dial bezel is held on with 3 screws, rather than 3 and a stud.  Is this any thing, or just stander ?
Vern

RotarDad

Hi Vern - The 7C and 7D dials all used the 3-screw bezel attachment method until sometime in the late 50s (1958, I believe).  At that point, the top screw was replaced by a guidepin on the dial casting.  This change probably slightly increased factory assembly speed and saved a screw in the process.  I've run across several 500s where the third screw hole is present(earlier dial), but only 2 screws were used to attach the plate (later method) - this probably often occurred in refurb.  A long answer to your question....  :)
Paul

Vern P

Thanks for the info, yes it would make sense to remove the 3rd screw, Removing the 3rd screw to save time and money.  I have worked on a lot of 7C dials, but never noticed ones with 3 screws, before.

Thanks again. Vern

jsowers

I think the year two dial mounting screws began to be used was 1955. All the 1954 500s and earlier used three screws to mount the dial. Here is a picture of the dial mount, from an 11-54 ivory 500 set.

One other thing that may have contributed to the two screws being used was the 554 wall phone, introduced in 1955, which always used only two screws to mount the dial.
Jonathan

RotarDad

Jonathan - you are right about the timing for the move from the 3-point dial mount to the 2-point design.  However, Vern was asking about the plastic dial bezel mounting which went from 3 screws to 2 screws and a guide pin in '58, I believe.
Paul

jsowers

Paul, thanks for the explanation. I was scratching my head trying to understand what Vern was referring to. A picture would have helped everyone understand it better.
Jonathan

RotarDad

I was too lazy to pull one out and snap a pic....  :)  Here's a "later" version dated 10-60 with the guide pin in the 1 o'clock position instead of the earlier third screw.
Paul

HarrySmith

From my experience the number ring will fit either one with the pin or screw. I have replaced dials and used the different plate.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

andre_janew

Also, the later #7 dials can be mounted on either a 2-point dial bracket or the older 3-point dial bracket. 

RotarDad

Yes both comments are true.  All #7 dials had the the third threaded screw mounting hole at the lower edge so they could be used on the early 3-point dial mount.  And any #7 bezel will fit on any #7 dial.
Paul