News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

K-500 Ringer

Started by jamayer, June 23, 2011, 04:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamayer

I recovered my grandmother's old rotary phone from around 1950. I think it is a k-500, but I'm not sure. I want to use it in a guest room.
I am able to get a dial tone, dial out and receive calls, but can't make the ringer ring. A retired phone company repairman I know told me to move the black wire to the green terminal, but that did not work. Here's a picture of the inside before I moved anything.
Can anyone help?

Kenny C

Hello jamayer,
First of all the ringer is a party line ringer and will not work on todays lines.

Secondly that phone isnt from 1950. sometime after 1965 is a more accurate guess.  The bases of 500 sets were painted flat black, and the network was a 425A with a separate equalizer. This appears to be a 425B. There should be a date on the network. 
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

LarryInMichigan

jamayer,

Kenny is correct.  Your ringer is not going to work on a standard phone line, but replacing it is easy.  Someone here should have a ringer to spare.  Also, your phone looks like a 1960s vintage.

Larry

jamayer

Thanks Larry and Kenny. So I need a ringer that will work on a 425B phone? Anyone know where I can get one?

bingster

Just a standard ringer for a "500 phone" is what you need.  "425B" is a type of network inside a phone, and is never used to identify the phone itself.  And if it's a K-500, it was made be a company called Kellogg/ITT.
= DARRIN =

jamayer

Thanks for setting me straight....This stuff is all new to me. The phone housing is stamped ITT.

LarryInMichigan

ITT was Kellogg.

Larry

jamayer

Found a ringer...Mike Brown at "oldphoneworks.com" had what I needed.
Thanks for the technical support and the education!