News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

dial clicks

Started by mmd, August 11, 2011, 12:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmd

Is it possible to make the 302 have the dial clicks like my 500, when dialing?

I know it's a stupid thing, but I like hearing the clicks.  My 302 is dead silent when it's being dialed.
Brandon
Western Electric 302, 500

LarryInMichigan

Brandon,

It depends on the model of dial.  The #4 dials make loud clicking sounds, and the #5 dials are much quieter.  If you looks around, you might find a #4 dial to use.  I think that they tend to go for about $40.

Larry

mmd

Eh i should clarify. I mean the clicking in the receiver.

Mine already clicks plenty loud from the dial itself, i just want the clicking in the receiver too.
Brandon

LarryInMichigan

You are not supposed to hear loud clicks from the receiver while dialing.  Contacts on the dial shunt (bypass) the receiver while dialing.

Larry

mmd

Oh, cause every model 500 I ever used has clicks in the receiver when dialing.  I thought that is why the rotatone emulates that, as on my 300 with a rotatone, it gains the clicks.

(I have removed the rotatone though as my voyage now supports pulse dialing since a firmware update.).
Brandon

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on August 11, 2011, 08:40:13 PM
You are not supposed to hear loud clicks from the receiver while dialing.  Contacts on the dial shunt (bypass) the receiver while dialing.

Larry

Now that you mention it, the two 500s I have plugged in make that clicking noise in the receiver.  I never noticed it before because I usually don't hold the receiver up to my ear when dialing.  A 5302 and my WE 440 that are also plugged in do not make the clicking noise.  How is the clicking noise corrected?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

You might hear faint clicks through the receiver, but two contacts in the dial are supposed to close while the dial is away from its rest position and bypass the receiver.  Since the resistance of the shunt will not be exactly zero, there will still be a very small voltage across the receiver.  If you hear loud clicks, something is amiss.  The shunt leads from the dial may not be connected to the network properly, or the contacts in the dial may be dirty or bent.  When you turn the dial slightly counter-clockwise, can you still hear a dial tone?

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on August 12, 2011, 02:42:53 PM
You might hear faint clicks through the receiver, but two contacts in the dial are supposed to close while the dial is away from its rest position and bypass the receiver.  Since the resistance of the shunt will not be exactly zero, there will still be a very small voltage across the receiver.  If you hear loud clicks, something is amiss.  The shunt leads from the dial may not be connected to the network properly, or the contacts in the dial may be dirty or bent.  When you turn the dial slightly counter-clockwise, can you still hear a dial tone?

Larry

One of the 500s I think is ok, the clicks are faint.  The other one has some distinctly loud clicks.  It fully functions otherwise.

QuoteWhen you turn the dial slightly counter-clockwise, can you still hear a dial tone?

Did you mean clockwise?  I tried clockwise, the dial tone gets faint on both, but I can still hear it.  It's much more distinct on the louder one.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

Yes, I meant clockwise.  Sometimes I think backwards.  If the receiver shunt is not working, it will not stop the dialing from working correctly.  It exists to protect your ears and possibly also the receiver.

Larry

mmd

The clicks in my 500 arent loud, normal level clicks the rotatone emulated.

I just want the same little clicks on the 302.
Brandon

Greg G.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread MMD.  I'm moving my questions to a new thread in Trouble Shooting.
- Mike Row
e

mmd

That's ok, you don't have to move it.

Seemed related to me, so it didn't even bother me.
Brandon