News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE880 help!!!

Started by Volvoguy, September 08, 2014, 11:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volvoguy

So I picked up a nice black AE880 on the weekend, or at least it should be nice once I clean it all up! Seems to operate fine so far until you try to turn on the speakerphone. Seems like it just hangs up as soon as you flip the big switch. I opened it up quickly to peek inside, and there's a whole lot going on in there! I plan to dig into it tonight, but I'm not sure what to look at yet. Just thought someone might have run across this before?

Phonesrfun

They are designed to run normally off the current of the phone line.  However, if you have some sort of cable-provided phone line, rather than a "standard" phone company line, you might need to supplement the power with a separate DC supply.  What kind of phone line do you have?
-Bill G

Volvoguy

Good ol' POTS. I was just digging through some other threads where Terry and Stub were helping someone else, and there was reference to a ten conductor line cord? And a terminal block? Mine just has a really long standard 3 wire. Is this right?

Phonesrfun

Seems to me that a regular cord should work, but might need some jumpers set on the inside of the set.  You might need Terry or Stub, the AE experts at this point.  I have a couple of these sets, but they have the larger cords.  I seem to remember that I had to jumper some wires, but ultimately only the tip and ring conductors needed to be connected to the line.

Sorry not to be of more help.
-Bill G

Volvoguy

That's a-ok! Thanks for trying! I just opened it up and got the front and back cover off, but is there a way to access the PCB easier? It's currently under the metal "middle frame" part

TelePlay

Can you post some pictures?

Kenton K

TCI has a great diagram I used to wire it up. And there are multiple wires that connect to L1 and L2.

KK

Volvoguy

I can. What specifically do we want to see? There is a small board that the line cord is currently atached, then there is the big circuit board. The line cord has red going to 1R which is jumped next door to possibly 1T? (kind of hard to read) Green is on 2R, jumped over to 2T, yellow is on ER. I found the schematic, but can't see where the line cord is supposed to be attached......
I'm assuking it's partly right since the phone works as a regular phone.

Volvoguy

Here is where the line cord is terminated.

stub

John,
         On that board hook up the green line in wire to - 2T , 2R,and ER
                                                    red line in wire to - 1R and 1T   and it should work . I tried to post pic but it won't let me for some reason. Hope this helps.. stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Volvoguy

Stub! Thank you! Trying it right now, standby......

Volvoguy

Ok, so it works a little better, in that it doesn't hang up when you turn on the speaker. But it still doesn't seem to be functioning as a speakerphone at all.......

stub

John ,
           Is the yellow line in wire on your cord hooked to anything? If it is just disconnect it and tape it off.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Volvoguy

I didn't have anything to jump over to ER, so i put yellow there and then attached it at the same point as green on my little wall mount jack at the other end of the line cord. This should be the same, no?

Volvoguy

Could my polarity be reversed and causing this?