News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

D1 202 Dropping switch Hook

Started by Lewes2, September 19, 2014, 05:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lewes2

I must have mis-assembled our 202 after having it powder coated. When lifting the handset off the phone, the hook (is this called the switch?) does not come all the way up and does not make the connection. I can pull it up the last 1/4 inch or so to connect but as soon as I let it go, the hook sags down and breaks connection.

I did have to sand the brass shaft with 00 steel wool because hype lower bushing got roasted a bit during the powder coating.

Could it be the weight of the powder coating on the hook. Or did I just put it back together wrong?  Does the spring go soft.  Unlikely.

Thoughts?

Chuck

Phonesrfun

If the bushing got fried, that would be the first thing I would suspect.  I have not had a spring go bad, and there should be sufficient pressure from the spring to accomodate what little additional weight there would be from the powder coating.  In hindsight, the bushings should have been taken out and the journals protectd against the powder coating.  Getting the bushings back in is sometimes tricky.

-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Also, there are reproduction bushings available, so you don't need to worry about the whole phone being toast on account of the bushings.  I actually once knew of a couple sources, but I would need to look it up sometime over the week-end.

-Bill G

Lewes2

Thanks much, Bill.  Popular actually put me on to bushings at Mark's.  They are coming in next week.  I was just hoping it wasn't the bushings.

Can we review the order of assembly, from the top:

1. The larger of the two bushings sits just below the hook switch, above the hollow tube. 
2. Inside the tube, there is a small brass cylinder
3. and below that the upper end of the spring fits into the brass cylinder.
4. The lower end of the spring sits on the lower bushing which itself sits inside the tube.
5.  The brass shaft from the hook runs down through all this, the upper bushing,  the cylinder, the spring, and  the lower bushing.
6.  The shaft emerges from the tube where there is a washer and a screw.  The washer keeps the end of the shaft from going up the tube. 

I'm doing this from memory. 

What is the purpose  of the lower, smaller bushing.  It would appear its function is to keep the shaft in the center of the tube as the shaft emerges from the lower end of the tube.  I don't understand how that bushing alone would prevent the hook and shaft from sagging.

It would seem to me that some how I have the components in the incorrect sequence and as a result, the spring is not exerting enough pressure to keep the hook up when lifting the handset from the mount.

Am I wrong?

chuck

Kenton K

maybe the bottom switdch assembly is not properly lined up. I've had that problem before.

_ken

warpwr

Here's a photo I took of the 202 parts so I wouldn't put them back together out of order.
Vaughn

Kenton K

I think it looks good. When you reassemble it, make sure the switch contact leaf springs sit properly on the hook. Like this photo: http://www.prc68.com/I/Images/WE202Opn.jpg

Ken

Lewes2

Thanks Warpwr and Kenton for the photo and link.

I seem to have a different version of the d1 than you have.  Fewer parts. 

On my phone, the switch contact makes contact with a very small brown disk mounted the metal piece at the bottom of the plunger.  You also seem to have more parts at the end of the plunger than I do.  See photos below:

We have family activities today and tomorrow but as soon as possible, I will open the phone and take the plunger pieces apart.  I have new bushings arriving on Wednesday, which I'll install.  I'm hoping this will fix the problem.

chuck

tallguy58

You seem to be missing some parts as well as it looks like someone replaced your switch hook contacts.

Here's mine.
Cheers........Bill

Kenton K

Tallguy,

Lewes has the older style swichook style. It looks all right from my point of view.

Ken

dsk

Since I don't have one, this are just based on general experience.
The switch should be with some kind of isolating material to the metal hook to ensure the phone  housing itselves isolated from line.
it may be missing, or putted in in wrong order.

dsk

Kenton K

Quote from: dsk on September 20, 2014, 06:11:06 PM
The switch should be with some kind of isolating material to the metal hook to ensure the phone  housing itselves isolated from line.

dsk

Its a little hard to tell from the photos, but there should be a small, red, circular material.

Ken

Phonesrfun

Quote from: dsk on September 20, 2014, 06:11:06 PM

dsk

Hopefully there is a little insulating wheel that is attached to the metal part of the end of the shaft.  It is hard to tell if it is there in the photo.  That kind of end is probably an early one.
-Bill G

Lewes2

Yes, Ken and Bill are correct.  There is a small red insulator disk - it's attached to the piece of metal directly under the screw.  See photo. (Does there exist in the WE annals a blow up schematic of this assembly?)

This older assembly apparently has fewer parts than the new D1 hook assembly and fewer options for putting it together incorrectly. But as I said, the replacement bushings are due to arrive Wednesday - I'll take it all apart and start over then.

Thanks every one for your help!

Chuck

Kenton K