"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE Starlite Dial Illumination help

Started by Volvoguy, March 06, 2014, 09:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: dsk on March 08, 2014, 04:03:20 PM
Slightly of topic, but fuses didn't help me when the lightning did the job.
http://tinyurl.com/paf83xv
Not sure how to explain why the house didn't burn down, probably someone take of me, luck or whatever you call it.
More pics here: http://tinyurl.com/pufcaww

dsk

We're you home Dag? What put the fire out? I too would have thought the house would burn down unless you were there to quickly put the fire out.

Terry

Mr. Bones

Quote from: dsk on March 08, 2014, 04:03:20 PM
Slightly off topic, but fuses didn't help me when the lightning did the job.
No fuse ever has, ever will.

I've lived in three places that were either directly, or indirectly, (though the outside transformer on the pole), hit by lightning. :o I was home every time. No house fire, but everything electrical that was in the house, even not plugged in, btw, was slagged. Take a gander 'bout the net on 'ball lightning'; I've been the same room with it! Yikes!
Not sure how to explain why the house didn't burn down, probably someone take of me, luck or whatever you call it.
dsk
It seems readily apparent that in addition to being very lucky, somebody loves and watches over you, my friend!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

dsk

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 08, 2014, 04:48:13 PM

We're you home Dag? What put the fire out? I too would have thought the house would burn down unless you were there to quickly put the fire out.

Terry
Quote from: Mr. Bones on March 08, 2014, 04:52:48 PM

It seems readily apparent that in addition to being very lucky, somebody loves and watches over you, my friend!
Best regards!

Nobody where there, we came when everything was cold. Nothing worked, the fire alarm was dead, the TV and radio, unplugged, dead.....

And Terry, yes I believe so! ( I guess it is a wise sentence on your dollars about that)

dsk

PS
This became pretty off topic, please lets come back to the Starlite's
DS

AE_Collector

Here is what you need for your Starlite. This plus a piece of white lampcord to to wire from the plug to the block. You will notice that someone snipped off the black and blue leads at the end that goes into the Starlite phone. You will have to strip back the jacket a little bit to get a bit more length on them to terminate on the screw terminals in the phone. Unlike many phone cords, this is 22 gauge stranded wire, not "tinsel cord" so it is easy to strip.

Rather than having the block hardwired to the phone line you might want to wire a phone cord onto the block as well.

Another way to modernize it a bit would be to use a surface mounted "box" type phone jack on the end of the white set cord from the phone and then wire the plug/lampcord to the surface mount jack and you can plug a double ended modular phone cord between this jack and the wall jack at your house. That would accomplish the same thing in a slightly more modern way. I'll give you a cord and surface mount jack as well in case you want to go that way.

I'll send you a PM with address and phone number etc. I can always put it out on the porch for you to pick up any time it is convenient for you. Cape Horn area right near the Port Mann Bridge.

Terry

Volvoguy

Are those the pieces you found for me? I can try to get out there maybe this weekend, or the following week.

stub

Volvoguy,
                Here's all I could find .   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield