"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

No Cracks or Chips!

Started by paul, August 29, 2012, 02:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 01, 2012, 07:44:41 AM
He had 302 auctions going. He made a mistake and once he realized it was not the OTHER 302 he had going at the same time, he changed his description. I boiler plate auctions all the time. Have I made a mistake, you bet!
Hi Doug:

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. I checked to see if he had other 302 auctions going that he could have erroneously used. I am a reasonably person. I have the screen capture - I also have his reply to my email where he claimed it always read as it did after he changed it. He was not pleased that I pointed it out, and tried to deny that he had corrected it. A seller who isn't trying to get away with something will thank people for pointing out an error so he can correct it - he tried to deny there was an error. His first reply to me was, "Yes, why?" Why because the listing was incorrect and needed to be corrected. His reply speaks volumes.

Dave

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

TelePlay

The seller re-listed the 302 with the broken out corner.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110944557552

The seller now has two other 302's for sale, both in better but not good condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110944584378

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120978157328

I don't want to get into the debate of this seller's good or bad name, but I did find that the seller of those 3 phones has over 3,400 items currently listed on eBay in many categories, 6 in telephones. That's a lot of stuff.

And, IMHO, it may just be my computer screen, but the exterior condition of that $145 302 seems much worse than any of these 3 (excluding the crack and missing corner), that with the rust and the line cord modification make it hard for me to see how the word refurb could be used with that phone.

Doug Rose

Quote from: DavePEI on September 01, 2012, 09:03:07 AM
Quote from: Doug Rose on September 01, 2012, 07:44:41 AM
He had 302 auctions going. He made a mistake and once he realized it was not the OTHER 302 he had going at the same time, he changed his description. I boiler plate auctions all the time. Have I made a mistake, you bet!
Hi Doug:

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. I checked to see if he had other 302 auctions going that he could have erroneously used. I am a reasonably person. I have the screen capture - I also have his reply to my email where he claimed it always read as it did after he changed it. He was not pleased that I pointed it out, and tried to deny that he had corrected it. A seller who isn't trying to get away with something will thank people for pointing out an error so he can correct it - he tried to deny there was an error. His first reply to me was, "Yes, why?" Why because the listing was incorrect and needed to be corrected. His reply speaks volumes.

Dave

we just disagree

Kidphone

DavePEI

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 01, 2012, 11:08:07 AM
we just disagree
But Doug: I know that if you had an auction on with an error, you would be glad to correct the error and wouldn't email the person back, saying, Yes, why?

You would correct the error and thank the person who had pointed it out. That isn't what this guy did.

Yes, we do disagree, but why I completely don't understand. All I am asking is for more sellers to be like you.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

I used to sell a little on ebaY and agree that when you have more than a couple of auctions completing each day things can get hairy trying to keep up with who has paid, what's ready to ship, feedback left AND putting up more listings all at the same time. I frequently am in awe of sellers with hundreds of auctions running at once. That said, if a seller can't keep the obvious mistakes in his listings  to a minimum he either is listing too much at once OR he needs to hire more employees to keep his buisness running properly. Too many items listed at the same time isn't an excuse for bad listings. At least this one was an obvious error rather than a big piece of the case missing on the only side of the phone not shown in pictures.

Terry

alison

I can say I am done with ebay for a while. It's too bad.
I recently bid on a couple of phones.  The first one said there was only some scratches on the phone if you held it up to the light.  There were many photos but even with close ups and with a high def laptop it was impossible to see that the finger dial had both a crack and a chip.  The seller tried to blame it on the post office but both the crack and chip were obviously old and I saw them as soon as I pulled off the bubblewrap and newspaper.  Otherwise I liked the phone or I would have made a stink. He never apologized.
The next phone bidding experience was when I looked really closely at the photos and it seemed there might be some hairline cracks on the phone so I wrote the seller.  He responded Oh yea I do see some but he never revised his listing to tell other prospective bidders, even though he did post my other questions and his answers.  It makes me wonder what else he hid!

Greg G.

Quote from: TelePlay on August 31, 2012, 09:00:11 PM
Refurbished phones are so much nicer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reburbished-Antique-Perry-Mason-Model-302-Western-Electric-Telephone-3-1941-/110945086810

That's the second time I've seen a vintage phone called a "Perry Mason" phone.  The first one was a Craigslist ad in my area some time back, but it didn't have any pictures and only scant info.  Why do people associate vintage phones with that show?  I never watched the show, but I think they had more 500 sets than anything else.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

paul-f

Quote from: Brinybay on September 06, 2012, 05:40:46 PM
Why do people associate vintage phones with that show?  I never watched the show, but I think they had more 500 sets than anything else.

It's worth watching for phones in the Perry Mason shows.  There are loads of phones, including pay phones, car phones and switchboards.

Personally, I always identify the Amplicall with Perry Mason...
   http://www.paul-f.com/rauland.htm
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

TelePlay

Quote from: Brinybay on September 06, 2012, 05:40:46 PM
Quote from: TelePlay on August 31, 2012, 09:00:11 PM
Refurbished phones are so much nicer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reburbished-Antique-Perry-Mason-Model-302-Western-Electric-Telephone-3-1941-/110945086810

That's the second time I've seen a vintage phone called a "Perry Mason" phone.  The first one was a Craigslist ad in my area some time back, but it didn't have any pictures and only scant info.  Why do people associate vintage phones with that show?  I never watched the show, but I think they had more 500 sets than anything else.

Perry Mason is in re-runs twice a day where I live and I tape them both. I've seen every episode at least 4 or 5 times. In the first year or two, they had 202s, then 302s and finally 500s. Even in later years, if he was visiting an older home, an older phone would be present. I guess it's the same with with calling they "Lucy" phones because that was the phone most often seen on that set. I'd say it may be the Seller's only reference to a phone type if they have no knowledge of old phones.

TelePlay

Forgot to add, some early episodes have scenes in old cabins with sticks and I've see two piece pay phones. When that series was filmed, I think the US was filled with all of these phones so using and seeing them in episodes was just natural to the day. I do believe the series took place in contemporary time and I just love seeing the big old cars of that time period. T-Birds, Caddies, Ford hardtop convertibles, Buicks and Olds. All big cars for the stars. Other cars on the street were everything from late model 40s to early 60s.

I'm waiting for the first seller to list a stick as an "Eliot Ness" phone. Sticks were all they ever used in that series, and two piece pay phones.

wds

I'm the victim of another scoundrel ebay seller.  Here's a quote from the sellers Ebay listing:

" There are no cracks, chips, or major imperfections in the telephone or box (see photos). It is a very cool piece! Great collector's item!"

Two of the corners of the phone are completely broken, with no pieces in the box.  This phone was broken before it was shipped.  A far cry from "no damage".  Of course the pictures in the listing did not show the damaged corners.  I think we should have a thread where we post the names of these sellers.  
Dave

LarryInMichigan

Dave,

The corners of Kellogg red bars are very often broken like that, but obviously, the seller should have shown the broken corners and mentioned them.  This is just like the Hammond clock that I bought several months ago which was missing chunks from one side, which was not shown in the listing pictures, and the listing stated that there were no cracks or breaks.  I guess that some people are naturally dishonest.  The seller of the clock was not very cooperative, so I had to open an issue with ebay.  They gave me a return UPS shipping label to print, and I was issued a full refund when UPS indicated that the item was delivered.

Larry

Russ Kirk

Quote from: wds on October 22, 2012, 09:37:25 PM
I think we should have a thread where we post the names of these sellers. 

I fully agree,  this is a great idea.   There are sellers I will certainly buy from again,  and others I avoid.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

twocvbloke

Quote from: wds on October 22, 2012, 09:37:25 PMI think we should have a thread where we post the names of these sellers. 

I'd say it may not be a great idea for the forum, as they may take offence to it and take legal action against the owner of this forum (given the reputation for the US and it's love of suing people for anything, even if it's their own fault but sue anyway), so there would be some legal issues that could be a major problem... :-\

Making a list and sharing it outside of the forum though, yep, not a problem in my books... :D

Dennis Markham

I'm reluctant to get into any type of list that someone (the seller) may take as libelous.  It's only libelous if the statements are untrue (I'm no attorney, but that's my understanding).  I don't think it's a problem sharing bad eBay experiences and pointing out an auction from which the bad experience originated.  Let the reader make his/her own conclusion.