News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric N317-G with N9 Dial

Started by AE_Collector, November 11, 2014, 12:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

I see this N317-G Woodie on Craigs List close to me and it has been converted to Dial with a N9AD dial. The last thing that I need is another Wooden Wall Phone but I dont have anything with this dial on it so am tempted to see what I could get it for. These dials usually seem to go for several hundred dollars on their own from what I have seen in the past.

The dial is awful dirty though so who knows what problems it may have. Someone appears to have dialled "1" and the finger wheel stuck right there making it look like the extremely rare 7001(?) dial!

The seller sent me high res pictures but too big to post here using my iPad.

They are asking $275.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/atq/4725728450.html ( dead link 03-02-21 )

Terry

Russ Kirk

I don't know much about these phones but have seen similar ones in eBay.

I always thought the dial was a "handyman special" or frankenphone and added by a novice. 

Where these dial added to wood phones ever factory modified and somewhat not a frankenphone? 
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

AE_Collector

I think the dials were added as kits by either the manufacturers refurb facilities, the telco's shops or other refurbishers. Many of the Prairie province Telco's seemed to keep the wooden phones but converted them to dial as needed.

Terry

Russ Kirk

I've often wondered about that, thanks!

And then after that someone converted them to birdhouses? <g>

Re: More Phone Atrocities
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12901.msg135849#msg135849
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

rdelius

Not a handyman special.Note the metal fittings on either side of the dial.These were used on other wooden sets with dials.I think a telco workshop modified it

paul-f

317-type sets with the N-type dial rated a mention in Northern's T3 and T6 Catalogs.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line