News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

what was the lowest you remember gas????

Started by Kenny C, March 07, 2010, 02:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

I know it is a weird question but i want to know.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Greg G.

27 cents a gallon for regular in the early 70s, pre-Arab embargo days.  I was still on my first car, a 61 Ford Fairlane, 6 cylinder, 3-speed column shift.  I could drive around all night on a bucks worth of gas.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

25.9 cents in the mid 60's for regular.  (No unleaded, it was not even sold).

I could fill er up for about $4.  It was not unusual for a poor high school kid like me to put 50 cents at a time in just to go on a date.  My dad would send me to the gas station with a quarter to fill the one gallon gas can so I could have the pleasure of coming back home and mowing the lawn.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

foots

The lowest I remember gas was 88 cents a gallon around 1995 or so.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dennis Markham

Bill, funny story about mowing the lawn.

I remember it being  24.9 a gallon when I was a kid and going to the gas station with my father.  Later when I was driving I could stop on my way to school for "a dollar's worth" and get 2.8 gallons.  That would last me a while.  So that was about 34c a gallon.  That would have been 1973.  Many of the gas stations gave away a gift with a minimum purchase too.  There was a station in my area they called  "Sugar Jake's".  He'd give 5 pounds of sugar with a fill-up....and he even pumped it for you.

Dan/Panther

1953, I remember my Mom Stopping at the Shell station, and remarking that Gas had gone from 18 cents to 22 cents a gallon, I also recall that I really liked the smell of pumping gas, it doesn't smell the same anymore. The owner of the Station was crippled, he had a hump on his back and I remember feeling sorry for him, as he limped out to pump the gas.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

In the late 1970s, I remember my grandfather watching the gas prices go up and swearing if gas got to be more than 75 cents, he'd stop driving.  He never had to, as he died not long after.  But years later, in the mid 1990s, gas prices plummeted, and on top of that, a few gas stations had a price war.  I remember watching gas go down at those stations to 1.10, then 1.00, then .90, .80, and it finally got as low as 70 cents.  I thought of him when I saw that low price.  Of course, it didn't last long, but it was nice while it was going on.
= DARRIN =

Phonesrfun

I remember the price wars of the '60s and now to really date myself.  ........  Are you ready for this?....... S&H Green Stamps.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

bingster

My parents wound up with books and books of those when they stopped that service here in the 1970s, and I have them now.  I have no idea why I'm still holding on to them.   I guess I'm hoping they come back, and I can get a nice toaster or something. :P  There was another one... Top Value, if my memory is correct.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Bingster, your story reminded me of another time when the price of gas was mentioned.  I was taking French in the 9th Grade.  That was the fall of 1969. Our French teacher had just returned from a summer trip to France.  He asked, "Do you know how much gasoline is in France?......FIFTY cents a gallon!!"  The classroom gasped at such a high price.  Oo-la-la.

I too remember S&H (Sperry & Hutchinson) green stamps and also Top Value.  I also recall the A&P Grocery Store had Plaid stamps.  My mother saved all three of them.  When I was about ten a new Winn-Dixie opened up down the street.  I entered my name to win a bunch of green stamps.  My ticket was pulled for 3rd place...10,000 S&H Green Stamps.  I got the catalog for the redemption center and bought a big silver flashlight!  It held about 4 D sized batteries.  Imagine how many stamps it took to get a bicycle.  Not in my life-time.  I'm pretty sure I still have that flashlight.

baldopeacock

I remember 24.9 in the early/mid 60s.

When gas first topped 50c/gal I was in high school and working at a gas station.   Our pumps could not go higher than 49.9, so to get to, say, 51.9 we had the pumps set at half that price and charged double what the total sale meter read.

Dennis Markham

baldopeacock, now that you mention that I remember stations around here doing that too.  That was before digital numbers were on pumps.  the numbers rolled by like those on the odometer of the car.

Bill Cahill

17.5 cents a gallon. Price wars. 1972
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dan/Panther

Quote from: baldopeacock on March 07, 2010, 05:45:41 PM
I remember 24.9 in the early/mid 60s.

When gas first topped 50c/gal I was in high school and working at a gas station.   Our pumps could not go higher than 49.9, so to get to, say, 51.9 we had the pumps set at half that price and charged double what the total sale meter read.

I remember in the late sixties gas 24.9, cigarettes 25 cents a pack, and a line of bowling 35 cents. You could make a good date for 5 dollars, Ripple wine 39 cents a bottle. I had a girl friend that was walking out of the store with a couple bottles under her jacket, when she dropped one. The clerk never said a word.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Craig T

.99 cents a gallon in 1999. Not that long ago. Just look at what a difference 10 years can make.