News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

5302 Dial tone drops off after dialing 3 numbers

Started by Bob R, April 28, 2019, 12:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob R

I have a 5302 in nice shape but the dial tone drops off after dialing the first 3 numbers.  Tried to compare the wiring to other 302's but they don't appear to be similar enough to help.  The G-1 handset has 4 leads instead of 3.  I'm stumped.  Any help would be appreciated.

jsowers

Could you take a few pics of the network and dial wiring and post them? It would help in the diagnosing of the problem. Thanks! And if you use a cell phone to take the pics, set it on a lower resolution first. Really large pics don't post well.

Also, let us know what kind of phone service you have. Plain old analog POTS from the phone company for a rotary phone would be preferred. And even then I've seen the phone company do some unusual things.
Jonathan

Babybearjs

the wiring is suppose to be the same as a 302... they used the old 300 series bases when changing over to the 500 series. as for the 2 white wires, they get tied together... (or 1 gets cut off) sometimes people when replacing that handset cord would use the newer cords and just wire the 2 white wires under the same terminal. check the TCI library for the schematic... they have it!
John

andre_janew

Actually, one white wire is paired with the red wire, just like it is on a 500 set.  If you put the two white wires together, you won't hear anything.

Ktownphoneco

Bob   ...    I see 2 white wires, 1 red and 1 black wires coming out of the handset cord, so I'm assuming you have a "G3" handset.      "DON'T CUT ANY HANDSET WIRES".    It's wired correctly.   I see the red wire connecting to the "R" terminal on the 101-A induction coil along with "1" white from the receiver.    The black wire from the handset cord appears to be connected to "BK" on the dial, and the other "white" from the handset cord is connected to the "W" terminal on the dial.   If that is the case, and your handset is probably a "G", handset, then it's connected correctly.

If your on a telephone company telephone line, lift your receiver and listen to the dial tone.    Don't dial any numbers.    After 20 or 30 seconds, does the dial tone stop ?     If it does, that's a time out initiated by the telco switch.    If that's what's happening, when you try to dial a telephone number, I would suspect that the pulse springs on your dial aren't breaking contact, or, in other words, they aren't dialing or pulsing any numbers because they aren't opening and closing as the dial spins.   They're probably staying closed. 
Look at the 2 bottom dial switch springs on your dial.    They are the pulsing springs on a type 6 dial (which is the dial in your set).   Remove the yellow tinted plastic cover which is a dust cover for the switch springs, so that you can clearly see the switch springs on your dial.      Dial some numbers, digits 9 and 0 will give you the best opportunity to watch what's happening with the bottom 2 pulse springs.      If you dial "9", they should open and fully close 9 times, if you dial "0", they should open and close 10 times, etc., etc.     Let us know what happens.

Jeff Lamb

Bob R

Thanks Jeff and all the others.  I have been working on several 302's and all dial fine on my system.  I've compared the dial to another 302 and it appears to me that both are working fine.  I'm not familiar with the 1" square capacitor next to the dial?  It had a little gunk on top of it like a capacitor that has over heated.   The handset is marked G-1.   

Ktownphoneco

Bob  ...  Your welcome.   Ok, "G1" is fine.    Wiring spec's are the same as a "G3".   The 1" inch square device your referring to is an "RF" filter.   It may have faulted, and requires removal.   Disconnect the filter completely.      Remove the filter's black lead from terminal "BK" on the dial, and re-tighten the screw on "BK", leaving the other 2 conductors connected to "BK".    Remove the "yellow" filter conductor from the "Y" terminal on the dial.   
Disconnect the "brown-yellow" conductor from the hook switch from the filter's terminal point, and connect it, to the "Y" terminal on the dial.    Now, plug your telephone into a jack and try it.    The filter isn't required.   It was designed to cut down the RF interference created by the pulsing springs on "AM" radio's in the home while someone was dialing a telephone number.

Jeff