News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE D1 with fitted base ringer

Started by david@london, May 05, 2017, 02:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

MM...the Chrome Bands on the WE 302 is not altering the design?
Kidphone

TelePlay

I guess it goes to the definition of design, which itself varies. This is one I found interesting.

"Design:  Realization of a concept or idea into a configuration, drawing, model, mould, pattern, plan or specification (on which the actual or commercial production of an item is based) and which helps achieve the item's designated objective(s)."

Or as Oxford calls it:  "A plan or drawing produced to show the look and function or workings of a building, garment, or other object before it is made."

Now, drilling a hole through the handset into the base to mount a lamp socket would be altering the design. Chrome bands? Eye of the beholder, as in if painted pink, chromed or trimmed out handset or dial. Certainly not keeping with the "as produced" or "as shipped" original configuration but with chrome bands still within design specs of use.

Interesting word, design, or as designed, open to opinions and I'm sure there are more than of few.

mazda_matt

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 07, 2017, 07:04:19 PM
MM...the Chrome Bands on the WE 302 is not altering the design?

True, not a feature WE had in mind, but I do side with Teleplay that it doesn't take away from the overall design of the phone itself. Like the addition of chrome parts on a Harley. ;)
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Coupon Code - CRF10 (10% off)

markosjal

Quote from: mazda_matt on July 07, 2017, 01:05:41 PM
Haha yes, we may change the internals from time to time. But the design is never altered!

-MM

"Never" ? Really ??
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

markosjal

Quote from: TelePlay on May 09, 2017, 11:02:30 PM
Good eye. Yes, probably made by first drilling the vent holes and then having the professional bending equipment to get the oval just right without over bending the vented areas, but, then, the holes do not take away that much metal to cause a bending issue.

That flat metal was not thin and the edges look professionally rounded off so it is well made. I'd like to see a close up photo of the inside at the seam, to see how they joined the flat into an oval - probably spot welded.

Anyone creating that, taking the time to design the part and process, most like did not do a one-off so there may be others out there. But it is nice work and a ingenious way to solve that problem, for that re-builder.

Seems it would be easier to be 3d printed
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish