News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Phone Calls from the Dead"

Started by paul-f, April 02, 2011, 08:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

30 years ago, I had purchased a WE three slot to add to my collection. I got it cleaned it up, hung it on the wall and admired it. But there seemed something odd about it, every time I went into my phone room to sit and admire my collection, I felt different.. almost depressed. I had got a call from the seller, he asked me how I liked the phone, I said its good, it cleaned up well. He then told me it had come out of a bar in Chicago, and that a couple guys had got shot and killed, he said he had it for a while but always felt different after looking at it, or using it. So after several years he sold it to me.. I was a bit taken back with his story, I never told my wife about it but she often commented about how she didn't like it. She said out of all the phones I had, that was the only one she didn't like, said it gave her the crepes.
I hadn't said how I felt around it, so I decided to move it to my game room. Again after a long time having fun playing my pins, and what not I felt the same as I had when it was upstairs. After a few months, I decided to sell it.
After it was out of the house the feeling of sadness or depression stopped. The guy I sold it to, asked me if I had felt odd being around it.
I never saw any ghosts while growing up in the brand new house my dad built, after about five years, strange noises began happening, it sounded like some one was walking around in the attic. Thing was it was only a crawl space with a cat walk. For years I heard this during the day whe. I was home alone. Had friends over for a party once, late at night they told me about the front door opening, and the hall light (that didn't seem to work right in the front hall) turn on, they tried to shut it off it wouldn't. And a cold breeze in the middle of summer, on a hot night blew down the hall when they went to see who opened the door. Another time a friend of mine and I were sitting in the kitchen, over looking the front yard, when we I caught a glimpse of what looked to be an upper torso, with a white old style tee shirt, just dissapering around the corner of the house. I looked at my friend and said did you see that? He was already looking at me with a look of shock on his face. He said who was that? As we were the only ones on the hill. There were two houses on a high hill, the other was unoccupied. I said, go out front and see if he comes back, I'm going out through the garage... He said "I'm not going out there!" I said than stand there looking out the window. I went out back looking through my parents bedroom window, to see if I could see anyone.
I got outside from the garage, no body was in the yard, or walking down towards the barn or the road.
Other members of my family also heard things but never said anything, because they knew there was nobody who could walk around in the attic.
Other things such as chairs in the kitchen moving, or pans sliding across the counter. Never knew who or what it was..
When my future wife and I were I my bedroom, settling down for the night, my dog let out a howl, and then growled, she had never done that before. I went out to find my my dog looking down the stair  case, and I asked her what's coming, she growled again. She never does that unless she's scared or something else happened.
I grabbed a bayonet I had my father got from the war, I went looking, found nothing, heard nothing..
My finance stayed a day up there with my dog, while I was at work, she said no way would she stay up there alone again. That she would walk the ten miles to town before staying there alone again.
KEN

TelePlay

Just thinking about the possibilities, if any, of taking possession of old stuff from unknown places.

While this posted story, if true, would be considered an extreme case,

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4629.msg119456#msg119456

we all collect and accumulate old stuff (phones, radios, lanterns, tools, objects, etc.) that we have no idea of where each of the old items may have come from, what it was exposed to wherever it was sitting or used, we also have no way of knowing if anything might have come along with the item as we received it into our residences.

As with the last post,

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4629.msg217517#msg217517

has anyone else ever had any strange, unexplainable experiences that might have started to happen after bringing a new to the collector home?

Or, has anyone with a large collection of old items experienced occasional unexplainable and unusual things?

Jim Stettler

Quote from: TelePlay on July 01, 2021, 03:00:51 PM

Or, has anyone with a large collection of old items experienced occasional unexplainable and unusual things?

I have a copy of the mentioned book.

I bring many old things into my home, I have many, many old phones.
I don't feel any of the old phones or other items have made things 'extra' weird.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That said,
I notice a  lot of weird and unusual events happen around me, I chalk it up to being old, sensitive and paying attention.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not only is the world stranger than we imagine, It is stranger than we can imagine.
If you keep an open mind and pay attention, you will be amazed at the things you can hear and see.

Nuff said,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

LarryInMichigan

The most unexplainable mysteries surrounding many of the old things that I have collected were what possessed me to buy them in the first place :)

Larry

TelePlay

There's one book available on Amazon for $907 plus shipping. Close to $700 for paperback and used from $300 on up.

Asked because of an experience a relative had with me in an antique store that was new, never happened, to me but I now know why I had difficulty getting her to go into the store with me.

Payphone installer

I could not resist responding to this post as I have had this experience. First a little background, my father worked as did my father-in-law. So did my wife my sisters and several cousins. We are a phone company family. I now own my own phone company and employ several ex phone company employees and myself wife and six children from the family. So there is a long history of telephones and our family.
    My father was diagnosed with terminal cancer and given two years to live. He lived 16,he was a splicer and a 1st and second line manager at Cincinnati Bell Telephone. He was sick for a very long time but with Gods grace and a miracle he got to see most of his grandchildren grow up. At the age of 78 he passed on, on a Thursday. If was a blessing after a long illness. My father was a very religious man. On the following Monday after his passing I took my mother to lunch at a local bar with great lunch. While we were talking ,she made the comment that I wish I had a sign that he is ok. We talked a little more after that and while we were talking my phone rang. It was my business partner. We were talking and another call came in on my cell phone that said Mom and Dad ,that's how I had it labeled in my address book in my cell phone. I did not take the call because I thought it was my sister at my Moms house calling me about when we would be back. So I send the call to voice mail. After I was done with my business partner I called my Mothers number back. I got the answering machine. I called my sister and ask her what she wanted? She said she did not call me and was not at Moms house. I found this very strange. We finished our lunch and returned to Mons house as we expected there was no one there and it was locked up. I called my other sister and anyone else that could have been in the house there was nobody there. And had been nobody there. My telephone brain went to work trying to figure out how the call came from the house. As I thought threw different possibilities I realized that Moms cordless phones captured all calls inbound and out bound. Numbers ringing in numbers ringing out. I grabbed the phone and hit the automatic redial which should have went to my cell phone. It did not. Scrolling threw the numbers found no calls to my number that day on both phones. To this day I believe when my mother said I wish I had a sign I think she got her answer. Dad Called. A old phone man reached out and touched someone.