News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My $10 yard sale find (Single slot Payphone)

Started by Ed Morris, September 09, 2017, 09:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Morris

Kenn--thanks for the information on keys.

Jim--area code 804 split from 703 in 1973.  703 is the original code for Va. The only dates I've found on the exterior of the phone are from 1979.  But that seems rather late for a rotary dial phone.  Brinybay said that was most likely a refurbish date, so the phone may have originally been a 703 area code phone.
Ed

mentalstampede

Late '70s to early '80s is consistent with the 20 cent DTF instruction cards.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Ed Morris

Well, I've got a mess now.  My borescope arrived today, but I had no luck getting the camera over to the lock from any of the holes on the back of the phone.  I tried working it in through a hole in the lower housing, and now the scope is hung up inside the upper housing and I can't work it back out.  At least I can stuff the scope in the coin vault space until I either work it back out or open the upper housing. 

I guess my next move is to try a #56 key from Dick Pitzer and see if that will open the upper housing.

Ed

Ed Morris

I emailed Dick Pitzer, and he just responded.  Dick says he is no longer cutting payphone keys and has sold all his equipment.

I guess my next option is to try to find someone reasonably close who has a 56 key and would be willing to see if it will open my phone.

Any volunteers?
Ed

TelePlay

Did he say who he sold his equipment to and if was going to be used for phone keys?

Ed Morris

No, but he did say he didn't know of anyone cutting keys.  Here is his response:

Hi Edward,
Thank you for contacting me but I no longer cut Payphone keys.  I have sold all my machines.  I'm sorry but I don't know of anyone cutting keys at this time.
Sorry I can't help you out.
Richard
Ed

Ed Morris

Finally got my borescope free.  That's a relief.
Ed