News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

No dial tone on 302

Started by Willytx, February 21, 2012, 06:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willytx

I have a 302 with no dial tone. All the wiring looks right. except the handset cord is a 4 wire rather than 3 wire. The extra white wire is also under the same screw under the transmitter in the handset. The other end is just taped off in the case. All that may not be the issue anyway.

There is a quiet hum in the receiver when the phone is plugged in but no return or sound when I blow in the transmitter. If I turn the dial normally and let go, there is a dial tone for less than a second, just before the dial stops. If I turn the dial slowly, no dial tone at all.

LarryInMichigan

The dial contacts are not in the correct positions, or the dial is wired incorrectly.  A picture of the back of the dial would be helpful.

Larry

Willytx

Contacts. Thanks, I was drawing a blank of that word.

I took pictures but with the flash all detail was too washed out. Without the flash, it's easy to get blurry photos. Daylight is much better for close ups.

HowardPgh

Make sure handset wiring is correct or make sure the transmitter is making contact. You can hear background line noise when the transmitter element is out of circuit.
If it is a normal 302 set with 101A coil and B!A ringer follow diagram in BSP 502-400-401.
If it is a weird 302 set like a 304 with 101B coil and B2A ringer follow diagram in BSP 502-400-402.
Use the diagram for Individual or Bridged stations.
Howard

Willytx

Quote from: HowardPgh on February 22, 2012, 12:03:50 AM
Make sure handset wiring is correct or make sure the transmitter is making contact. You can hear background line noise when the transmitter element is out of circuit.
If it is a normal 302 set with 101A coil and B!A ringer follow diagram in BSP 502-400-401.
If it is a weird 302 set like a 304 with 101B coil and B2A ringer follow diagram in BSP 502-400-402.
Use the diagram for Individual or Bridged stations.

That was an easy fix! I was comparing the wiring with the handset on a 5302G. The center tab for the transmitter contact was pushed way down. Before comparing the two handsets, it looked okay. Once I bent it back up, dial tone.

Thanks Larry and Howard.

HowardPgh

Willytx
Little things like that can drive you nuts.
It's nice when a fix is that easy!!
Howard