News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wiring Continental Phone - 6T Dial - Help!

Started by Dennis Markham, November 01, 2009, 03:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

Well you are getting close, and oops, I found that when looking at the schematic of the dial on page 5 diagram C of the BSP you provided earlier, I totally missed that the BB and W contacts on the 6T dial are shunt springs and not normally closed!

I need to look at a schematic and take a look at this before I can give you a conclusive answer, since I am at work, and cannot take the time at the moment to study this.  It will be a simple fix, but I do need to look closer at a schematic.

Bear with me, or maybe someone else can jump in.

-Bill
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Thanks Bill, and also to anyone else that weighs in on this subject.  I'm taking a break from it now for a while.  I think I'm going blind!  Whew!  I need a vacation. :)

Dennis Markham

I can't thank Bill Geurts enough for his help and patience in helping me get this Continental phone working.  The 6T dial is unusual and requires completely different wiring than the dials normally found in the desk and wall phones.  Not only did Bill do some research on the wiring of this dial, he spent some time on the telephone with me walking me through the wiring scheme.

I am happy to report the phone is working perfectly now.

Thank you Bill and thank you to all that responded.  I will be making a diagram and put it in the "Technical" section in case anyone stumbles on a Western Electric 6T-41 dial in the future.

Phonesrfun

It would be nice to say that I just came up with it off the top of my head, but I must admit that fortunately, I had a 6L-41 dial with the same switch assembly as his 6T, and I hooked it up to my Imperial the way it seemed it would need to be hooked, and by golly it worked.  Then all I had to do is relay the information on to Dennis.

Actually, Dennis did the hard work.  He got in and reconfigured the hookswitch stack, which, if anyone has ever taken apart a switch stack, they know that task is not for the faint of heart.

So, I would say that you, Dennis, did all the work.....And your paint job on the dial turned out real nice!

-Bill G