News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The New Guy Needs Advice

Started by Vic160, December 13, 2013, 07:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic160

Well to compliment my Victrola, Antique Fan and Cash Register collections I picked up a couple phones and in doing my research I see that they can be made to work on todays system.  I have a WE candlestick with no dial, its brass and black, both cords are coiled, and I also have a WE 202 and a ringer box of some sort, I really would like to use the 202 but not sure if the ringer box(im sure thats not what its called) will work with either.  The 202 has a Stromberg Carlson Dial, I have the replacement 5h for it though.  I need some advice, with phones going through modems and cable lines and all that now I dont know if its worth the effort.   I can take pics this afternoon, is it easy to upload pics here?  Other forums I belong to can be difficult.   Thanks everyone.  Ive learned alot already.

DavePEI

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Matilo Telephones

Welcome Vic160,

See Dave's link. Posting pics is easy. Please do upload them directly onto the forum rather than linking to them on another site like photobucket of Flickr.

Are you sure you do not have phonitis yet?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Vic160

Thank you!  And yes I do have phonitis lol.  I have a wooden wall phone that hangs in my workshop that I forgot about.  I'll post pics so you guys can maybe help a newbie :).

Vic160

Here are a couple pics of the phones in question.  I haven't changed the dial on the 202 yet.  
Sorry they are sideways.  Not sure how to change that on my iPad.  Pic of ringer coming up

Vic160

Here is the ringer.  Which phone is it more appropriate for?

Sargeguy

The two phones are Western Electric but the ringer box is not.  You also need a network, which is missing from the ringer box.  D-1 desk sets usually have metal or bakelite ringer boxes/subsets.  Candlesticks are ,more likely to have wood.

Here are some things I recommend:

FOr the D-1/202:

Subset: 634a or B , or 684A or B
Cords:  Straight brown cloth handset cord and a straight brown 4-conductor subset cord
Dial: Western Electric 4H or 5H with dial card assembly and brass or steel fingerwheel

For the candlestick:

Subset:  101A network to put into the box
Cords:  Straight brown cloth handset cord and a straight brown 4-conductor subset cord
Receiver: sell the one that is on it and replace it with a 144AW
Brassed out parts: repaint it black

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Vic160

Thanks for all the great information!  Is a network easy to find and where?  Why are both cords in the candlestick phone coiled?

HarrySmith

Neither phone should have coiled cords on it, they came around much later than that.
Both should have striaght cloth cords.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Vic160

Thanks.  Makes sense, I never paid attention to it, or thought it out.  I paid 50.00 for the pair.  D t remember what the ringer box cost me, I'm sure it wasn't much.

Vic160

Now the question is who wants to do the work for me?  I put the 5h dial on it today.  So that's one less thing.