News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Telechron 7H273 Mystery Clock

Started by LarryInMichigan, August 21, 2017, 09:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I bought a pathetic General Electric/Telechron clock at the flea market yesterday for $2 (the seller wanted $5).  The clock was falling apart, and there was some damage.  Someone had previously dismantled it.  The model number molded into the plastic back cover is 7H273, but i cannot find any information about this model, other than the size of the crystal.  It is not shown on the telechron.net site nor Linz's book.  I therefore don't know if what I have is a genuine 7H273 or something assembled from various clocks' parts.  Unfortunately, the Telechron collectors' forum has been out of commission for a while, so I cannot ask there.

Does anyone here know anything about this model?  I realize that it is a simple model and not likely worth anything, but being a Telechron clock fanatic, i would like to know about it.  Does anyone here know anything about the status of the Telechron forum?  I tried to send Pappy a message yesterday, but there has been no reply.

Thank You

Larry

19and41

I get a error message when I try to go on the Telechron forums.  Nothing seems to function after entering by the telechron.net "forum" link. It's been that way for a month. anyway.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

LarryInMichigan

Another Telechron collector sent me a link to an ebay auction for a 7H246 which is a 1945-59 model and a very similar clock with a different face and hands and a dark back cover, but otherwise about the same as my 7H273.  The 7H246 comes up with plenty of links in web searches, but my model does not.

I sure hope that the forum returns soon or a new, active electric clock collectors' forum starts.  The NAWCC forum is not so helpful for electric clocks.

Larry

19and41

I sent Pappy an E mail.  Guess I'll see if there's a reply.
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

What the URL of the forum that does not work?

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: TelePlay on August 23, 2017, 03:38:03 PM
What the URL of the forum that does not work?

http://www.telechron.net/forager/

That forum uses the same forum hosting software as this forum.  It has been hacked a couple of time over the past few years.

Larry

19and41

Regardless, that clock is a nice looking specimen.  I'd not seen a wood cased model with a plastic rear cover before, they usually just have the knobs protruding through their holes in the block.  Many alarms I have seen have some kind of deceleration damage from being scooted off the nightstand.
— Arthur C. Clarke

LarryInMichigan

On this clock, the case is not really deep enough to hold the movement, so the back cover bows outward to cover the part of the movement which extends beyond the case.  This is not an especially exciting clock model, but I am happy with my $2 investment.  It might be one of the rarest Telechron models, though that would not make much difference to the value.

Larry

19and41

Wonder If there is anyone within locality of the administrator of the site that could see what is the matter?
— Arthur C. Clarke