News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

See what happens (High Starting Bids for Common 500 sets)

Started by BDM, February 15, 2009, 10:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

Some of these guys see the rare soft plastics go for big dollars. Right away, they thing they have the only Smithsonian example in their own kitchen.

http://tinyurl.com/b5r6vs  ( dead link 8/2/2015 )
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

$199.?  Jeese.  No real description either. :P

McHeath

Uh, is it just me or is it modular?

199?!  What does it do, play Dixie while making your coffee?  200 big ones for a modular 500 will be a new record.

Dennis Markham

I think that is a relist too.  I thought I saw that a week or so ago.  You're right, Heath.  They see one auction that brought in big bucks and think that stands for all rotary phones. 

Dan/Panther

I don't understand the Eaby seller mentality.

They have at their disposal perhaps one of the most accurate market pricing tools you could ask for, yet most seem to just slap high prices on everything.
Anyone with an ounce of brains, could look up like items of what they are trying to sell,  and get an average price range. Idiots all...
I recently bought my Green WE500 for about $14.00, in great shape, except for the cracked case and broken dial  :o :o :o :o :o ::) ::) ::) Not mentioned in the auction.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HobieSport

I don't know.  Some sellers just seem to be blinded by wishful thinking without doing enough research.  I don't think they are all idiots.  Just a percentage of unrealistic thinkers.  Just my .02. :)

Perry

FWIW, this guy is at least closer to reality than the guy who wanted to sell his grandmother's 302 for $3500.

High starting bids like this are really not helpful, unless he is hoping that someone will come along and pay that amount blindly. The eBay auction is a good way of finding an item's value. If the phone was really something special and worth $200, it would be bid up to that amount (assuming a decent listing), even if the starting bid was $1.

Dan/Panther

Perry;
my thoughts exactly, the collector is not going to let a bargain go for less than it's worth, or pay muchy above fair market value, unless of course it's a newbie collector.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Ellen

I have sold a few things on eBay.  I start them at $5.  Nothing is worth less than that, because of the effort that goes into the photo, navigating the listing obstacle course and avoiding pitfalls.  (Like discovering that someone in the mountains of Italy wants my mother-in-law's old computer!!)  If I price it over that, I have to pay the percentage-of-stated-value as well as the percentage of the sale price.  And it may not sell, anyway.  My overstating the price does not mean that anyone will fall for it.

By the way - I found just the woman for all your oldey timey kitchens - just print her out and post on the wall near the stove.

HobieSport

One Ebay method I've heard is to start low but have a reasonable reserve price.

Sargeguy

I think reserves keep away bidders.  If you have a reserve, then use that as the starting price.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

benhutcherson

There's currently a seller who has a whole bunch of red non-dial 500s in varying conditions, all with a fixed price in excess of $100. The one thing to be said for them is that they all have push-to-talk handsets, however I don't think that even a mint red push-to-talk is going to drive the price up that much. Some of these have cut handset cords, and other problems.

This same seller also has a few dial 500 sets, primarily ITT, in excess of $150.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT&item=190283057683 ( dead link 8/2/2015 ) (one of the better ones)

benhutcherson

Here's another historical gem from the same seller-a genuine, original acoustic coupler modem, from the dark days of the Bell System.

Ready for you to plug your G-series handset right into, all for only $519.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/Racal-Vadic-VA3413-Acoustic-Coupler-Modem_W0QQitemZ200256258796QQihZ010QQcategoryZ4193QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262 ( dead link 8/2/2015 )

I'd buy one as a telephone curiosity, but for $5 rather than $500.

HobieSport

Hmm.  He also has this '67 ITT 500  http://tinyurl.com/b8xup2 ( dead link 8/2/2015 )  that I wouldn't pay fifteen bucks for, unless I'm missing something.  Seems the sellers' strategy is maybe using silly high BIN/OBO prices. ???

Sargeguy

I'd hate to see his listing fees.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409