News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dan the telephone man on Pawn Stars

Started by tallguy58, November 06, 2015, 06:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tallguy58

I just finished watching an episode of Pawn Stars where a guy comes in with a 1905 AE Strowger dial and an early 1881 Bell candlestick. The Bell had a solid platinum disk buried in the head of the phone. Phone was marked 9737, and was apparently the first portable telephone..  Said he was one of the largest phone collectors in the world. Said he got into phone collecting because he stuttered when talking to girls, but didn't when he spoke to them on the phone. Wanted $26K for the pair.

Anyone know this gentleman? He had a leather cowboy hat festooned with silver wings and planes.
Cheers........Bill

Ktownphoneco

That's Dan Golden from California.        He's been collecting and selling antique telephones for years, plus he runs, or did,  a telecommunications business in California.

'Jeff Lamb

HarrySmith

Yup, that's Dan. He was also on Storage Wars, he bought a mannequin phone from Dave for $6,000.00!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

tallguy58

Would be interesting to find out if that show is staged. Sure looks like it. Is he on this board?
Cheers........Bill

Jack Ryan

Apparently the Bell candlestick was a reproduction made by John Infurna.

I can't tell myself.

Jack

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: tallguy58 on November 06, 2015, 09:44:44 PM
Would be interesting to find out if that show is staged. Sure looks like it. Is he on this board?
That show is abolutely staged!

First of all, in thst episode, the shop called in Mark (AKA "The Beard of Knowledge"), who is supposedly the Clark County Museum Curator. Whenever they 'call him in' he always knows exactly what the object is right off the bat. In this case, he knew exactly what both phones were the second he stepped into the shop. I'm sorry, not too believable to me.

I believe that the sellers actually want to sell their items, but have to talk with the production company beforehand to schedule a time to film, so they can set the shop up to look like an average Pawn Shop and maybe even rope off the sidewalks outside. (On a usual day there behind the scenes, the shop is acually full of Pawn Stars memorabilia and there are literally 100-foot long lines out the door) Meanwhile, the production company also calls Mark to do some research on the item(s) the seller has.

It may sound like some conpiracy, but the Gold and Silver Pawn Shop is one of the top tourist attractions in Las Veags! The some of the main characters don't even work there anymore since the show's popularity took off!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Sargeguy

When this show first aired there was an animated discussion of the subject on the ATCA or TCI list.  Those are John Infurma's work.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Jim Stettler

A friend of mine knows one of the coin experts (formerly from the ANA). The  "ancient coin"  expert used to live in Colorado Springs when he was with the ANA. He moved out east somewhere (Ohio ?) and later started to appear on the show. My Friend ran into him at an ANA  coin show and found out they fly the expert  to Vegas for filming segments. In the show the guy appears to be a local.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Partyline4

How bout this?

I was just watching the American Pickers, and they had this Dan guy on, so I started a thread on here about him today.

Apparently he struck gold somewhere in order to amass that kind of collection.

Anyone know his back story?

Partyline4

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 06, 2015, 08:22:25 PM
Yup, that's Dan. He was also on Storage Wars, he bought a mannequin phone from Dave for $6,000.00!

That was amazing. I wonder if that was planted?

Jim Stettler

Dan Golden has been collecting for years. He sold off his collection to a GA telephone museum. Al Farmer also sold his collection to the same  museum.  Jimmy Carter was at the opening ceremonies. This was quite a few years ago.
Dan Golden was also on a Dating show that was filmed in an Airport.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
However, I think it was a different Dan on American Pickers.  ISTR the episode, I tried to pull it up on youtube earlier and the video display wasn't working right.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Partyline4

Quote from: Jim S. on November 18, 2015, 04:33:53 PM
Dan Golden has been collecting for years. He sold off his collection to a GA telephone museum. Al Farmer also sold his collection to the same  museum.  Jimmy Carter was at the opening ceremonies. This was quite a few years ago.
Dan Golden was also on a Dating show that was filmed in an Airport.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
However, I think it was a different Dan on American Pickers.  ISTR the episode, I tried to pull it up on youtube earlier and the video display wasn't working right.

JMO,
Jim S.

Wonder how much he got, Jim?

Enough to make him smile?

Jim Stettler

The story was 7 figures. Part of which he used to buy more Phones. I think Al got 7 figures as well
Jim S.

BTW the Pawn Stars phone was probably the only surviving complete  Munson Telephone. Munson had  the  phones stored on his porch and the platinum transmitters got stolen. The surviving complete phone was in his house. Dan has displayed it at telephone shows in the past.
You live, You learn,