and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Vintage Bell System Terminal Letter Stamping Set Letter Number Stamps

Started by Pourme, December 09, 2016, 09:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

I bought this:

http://tinyurl.com/z7zx8yj

I know it is a Letter and number stamp kit, but does anyone have any more specific information on it?

Exactly how and where might it have been used?

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Pourme

The stamps came in today. Most look like they were never used, the ones that were used apperar to have reddish ink on them, perhaps vermilion? Makes me think they were intended for use in the referb process. Thoughts?
Benny

andre_janew

Do you have any phones with refurbishing dates to compare them to? 

RotarDad

The word "Terminal" on the boxes must be the key.  It would seem these are designed for individual use to label a terminal "Y" for example.  I would think the standard refurb stamps that we see on WE phones would have used a multi-character stamp so that "R1071" could be done with a single marking.

I find it very interesting that the wood pieces were cut from one block and kept in that orientation during the manufacture of the set.  This was probably easier, but also interesting that that the wood for the letters "I" and the "J" are thinner than the others.   And the wood spacers used to ensure all fits tightly in the metal tin which was obviously used for other applications as well.

Cool to see examples of manufacture before the days of inexpensive plastic parts.
Paul

Jim Stettler

I wonder if these were for use on switchboards or systems.Many large systems were custom. Bell would charge you for time to create custom systems, then they would reuse the system design as the base for a similar system. I think Bell would have the installer stamp stamped the SD or CD or drawing info onto the system.

Just speculation on my part,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Pourme

I haven't taken time to compare the stamps to markings on my phones yet. I agree the word terminal is likely a clue. The workmanship and use of wood is significant. I also noticed that there is no "/" that would have been used to stamp a date. I do think one could line them up hold them together to form a date, etc. This is not likely though. Still, this is a interesting piece.
Benny

paul-f

As we might expect, there are a lot of references in the BSPs to terminal stamping. A Google site search in the TCI Library produces many hits, including:

BSP 800-613-160-i3

SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS
POWER APPARATUS AND EQUIPMENT
NUMBERING AND LETTERING
GENERAL EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Pourme

I will have to sharpen my search skills, I did make a effort in the TCI library and didn't get those results. I will return and have another go!
Thanks!
Benny