News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is your earliest Touchtone phone?

Started by Dave F, February 04, 2015, 10:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave F

I'm doing some research and would like to know the earliest date standard-production Touchtone phone (or Touchtone dial) that has been found.  Anybody have any from 1963?  If so, please post a picture of the date code from the dial/phone.

Thanks,

DF

jsowers

The earliest I've seen is this pink 1500 from 10-64. It belongs to a friend. I posted a couple pics. Also an announcement in Southern Bell Magazine from 11-63 for the 1554.
Jonathan

WEBellSystemChristian

I have a 10 button WE multiline from 2-64 with a 1967 TT pad and replacement parts from the '70s. I got it really cheap on ebay not long ago:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12685
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

JimH

I have a white 1500 dated 1-64 with plastics dated '63.
Jim H.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: JimH on February 05, 2015, 03:00:42 PM
Talk about a nice 1500 example! Plain (but perfect) white, January 1964, 1963 plastics...
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Dave F

Quote from: JimH on February 05, 2015, 03:00:42 PM
Nice one JimH.  When you have some free time, let us know what date is shown on the 25A3 dial.

DF

JimH

The dial pad is dated 12-63, the ringer is dated IV-63, but the network and base are dated 1-64.
Here is a better picture after I swapped out the faceplate for an identical one that was not cracked, plus a couple pics of the inside.  It doesn't have the clear plastic cover for the back of the keypad...maybe this came later? I just noticed the little round silver component at lower left in the keypad picture appears to be dated 11-63.

Jim

Jim H.

Dave F

Jim,

Congratulations, you have a really special dial there.  1963 TT dials are very rare.  Some details that distinguish them from later production units are:

1) Date shown on rear, rather than on face near the 25A3 designation.

2) No "Western Electric" logo molded into the front plastic gray bezel.

3) Early PC board material with silkscreened info on component side.

4) "Western Electric" logo on white common-switch cover.

5) Slots, rather than triangular holes, for tuning the coils.

I have one from even earlier in 1963, and yours confirms that it is indeed a production unit and not a test prototype.  Mine is from an early Touchtone Card Dialer.  I will show it in a future post.

DF

Edit:  Yes, the clear plastic rear covers came later.

To everyone else:  Check all your old TT sets.  Let's see if we can find some even earlier.

DF

paul-f

Quote from: Dave F on February 06, 2015, 12:58:42 PM

Check all your old TT sets.  Let's see if we can find some even earlier.

...and later, too.

I looked at several 25A-type dials and found:

10-65 - date on rear, WE logo on front (gray plastic), silkscreen info, (common switch cover missing), triangles.

3-66 - date on front, WE logo, no silkscreen info, common switch cover, triangles.

So, apparently the various characteristics were phased out on different dates.  We may have to look at a lot of dials to nail them all down.

It was also interesting to note the dates on the coil covers.  Several dials that had been refurbed had the original date on one cover and a refurb date on the other one.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

JimH

Thanks, I knew I had a "keeper" with this one.  I paid $16+shipping.  It was in the "Notable Refurbs" thread back in May.  Here's the thread and how it looked:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11814.msg126478#msg126478

Jim
Jim H.

andre_janew

You guys have me beat by a longshot!  My earliest one is a red 2500 made in 1977.  I even entered it in the January 2015 Find of the Month contest.  It only got two votes, mine and probably one from a guy who just likes red phones.

GusHerb

I have a Pink 1500D all parts dated 10-67, that's as old as my TT phones get.

My neighbor as a kid remembers having a TT phone in 1962, his dad worked for Illinois Bell and was a field tester I guess. He also had a Picturephone, never hooked up though. I asked him where it is and he said his dad threw all that stuff out...  >:(
Jonathan

unbeldi

The first TT dials in production were the 22-type dials in 1961 or so!

Does anyone have a 568HT telephone?

This set was a key set with a No. 22 touch-tone dial, and it had 12 buttons, the positions of the * and # were used for Priority and Special Grade.

HarrySmith

My 1500D was originally dated in 1965 and refurbed in 1969. I cannot find any replaced parts. The dial is stamped on the back with the 65 date and on the front the "R" date is 69. Other parts date 65, the handset and elements are all 62 and the case is 66. The handset cord must have been replaced by the previous owner as it is from 72. I purchased this Black Beauty from Ralph Meyer, it is pictured in his book. Only $20.00. While checking it tonight I noticed something I missed before, in the case by the clock imprint is a Vermillion stamp of "K8". Any ideas on what that may be, I have never seen it before. Some pics attached.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dave F

Quote from: unbeldi on February 06, 2015, 08:28:24 PM
The first TT dials in production were the 22-type dials in 1961 or so!

Does anyone have a 568HT telephone?

This set was a key set with a No. 22 touch-tone dial, and it had 12 buttons, the positions of the * and # were used for Priority and Special Grade.
The 568HT was an early ancestor of the later AUTOVON military sets.  I believe there is a picture on Paul F's website.  The type 22 dial is very neat:  The tuning coils are mounted end-to-end and parallel to the circuit board, unlike all the later production TT dial types.  Also, the SG button had an additional switch contact on the back side for auxiliary signaling.  Several years ago I missed out on a 22 dial at a phone show by about 5 minutes!

DF