News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Grabaphone Handset Repairs, as I go..Thanks U.P.S.

Started by Dan/Panther, October 03, 2008, 10:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

The Center Mica diaphram is also bad on the transmitter, it has a powdery substance inside, what is it, or is it just crumbled mica ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BDM

Not sure, but it sure sounds like powdered mica, just like you said.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

Here are some pictures of where I am on the transmitter.

First picture ;
Phone courtesy U.P.S., The front was in perfect shape, the broken mouthpiece gouged the wood, an ruined the decal. I was, needless to say, heartbroken.

Second Picture;
Mouth piece as received.

Third Picture ;
Repaired Mouthpiece.

Fourth Picture;
Donor Mica, not yet cut to shape. .002 thick, very hard to work with.
I think this area was filled with carbon, where can I get more ?

BDM

Dan, did this seller properly pack the handset? It should be wrapped separate from the main box, which also should be wrapped separate. Both should be wrapped like an Eskimo in 60/dg below weather. The, use a double box. I shipped many phones in the past by UPS USPS & FedEx. I've never had an incident.

The way I've packed them, you could literally drop kick'em.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

I requested separate wrapping of the handset, he didn't, he also single boxed, and used newspaper.
He frankly was a total idiot.
D/P

Dan/Panther

Here is a crossection of the mouthpiece. The number 3 is what I need to know what it is.
D/P

BDM

That figures, what an %@&#...............................You know ::)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

I talked to Bob Estreich in Australia, he told me the substance was granulated Carbon, like that which is found in older batteries. He told me how to make it, and said it shpould wpork fine, but not as well as original.
I feel like NEIL ARMSTRONG HERE, sweating bullets hoping I don't screw up.

D/P

Bill

So share the wealth, Dan! How DO you make granulated carbon out of an old flashlight battery? I would assume you cut the battery open, pull out the carbon rod in the center, clean it VERY well (leftover electrolyte would probably play hell with a transmitter's carbon cup), and pound it up with a hammer. Good so far? Then the real question - how fine do you want the powder? And does it need to be screened to get the fines out?

Thanks

Bill

bingster

I understand the desire to repair damage, but it might be easier (if you want to actually use the phone) to solder a WE or AE transmitter element in there.  This was commonly done on phones with similar handsets, such as the ubiquitous Danish KTAS D-08. 
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Bingster;

Blasphemy !, Blasphemy !
I'll forget I read that....... >:( >:(

D/P

benhutcherson

You could probably also use the carbon out of a T1 transmitter. That would be a quick, dirty and cheap way of getting good quality, consistent carbon granules.

Dan/Panther

Well I've completed the repairs on thew handset. Now to wait until I can test it.
I've contacted Bob in Australia, for any inside info, on set up and testing .
Here are some photos of the mouthpiece as I completed it.
Pix 1- Is the carbon mounted under the mica diaphram, Remember .002 " thisck.
Pix 2- Is the repainted Gold side of the Diaphram.
Pix 3- Is the diaphram mounted in it's frame.
Pix 4- Is the mouthpice mic mounted back into the Mouthpiece.
Pix 5- The phone back together, It's a shame the damage done by the broken mouthpice, the cabinet WAS in great shape. I will need to plane down the front of the box about 1/32 of an inch to get past the gouge, I didn't want to feather it, as it would show under certain light, I will also have to replace the decal.

D/P

bingster

I gotta hand it to you, Dan... Yankee ingenuity isn't dead after all!  Great job. 8)
= DARRIN =

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI