News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Early 70s WE single slot

Started by Sargeguy, April 29, 2018, 05:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I don't know much about paystations, but when the seller contacted me I thought this one looked like a keeper.  The phone was apparently a Western Electric 1? and the pre-1968 Bell System logo caught my eye.  I went to see it and settled on settled on a reasonale price with the very motivated seller ($50).  I take it that finding the correct key will be a hassle.  The phone appears to have been ripped off a wall at sometime rather than retired from service.  I'll hook it up and see if it will fire up without having to bust the lock.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Key2871

Very cool 1A1. Does it have the innards? Because that's what makes it a 1A1, otherwise it's just another early single slot, with maybe a B chassis.

You can get a 3/8" wood dowel, cut a piece about8" long.
Lay the set on its left side, on a rugged bench, grab a hammer or hammer drill. Start hitting the lock, don't beat it, just keep hitting it firmly, and about 8-10 minutes latter the lock will drop out. Using a T key, turn ccw and pull the upper housing off. To the lower right there is a connector that you'll need to in plug.
KEN

AL_as_needed

"Do Not Use Foreign Coins"... Didn't think that would have been an issue  ;D
TWinbrook7

Sargeguy

I just cut the 178A off the back. It was partially demolished and it was held on loosely by two bolts.  Definitely does not look like an official de-installation!  The stamp reads "1C 1-72-S" which Was later than I expected based upon the Bell logo. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Here are some pictures
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Quote from: AL_as_needed on April 29, 2018, 07:09:07 PM
"Do Not Use Foreign Coins"... Didn't think that would have been an issue  ;D

Probably refers to Canadian coins.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Based upon the phone number on the card, the phone was originally in Muldoon's Bar in New Bedford, MA.  I bought it from a guy in Norwood, MA.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Key2871

Well it's an early set at any rate, the faceplate and coin return tell me that. That back board has seen better days..
It should clean up nicely though. A little tester paint for Nick's and that will look nice.
KEN

Sargeguy

Except for the back, which is warped around the bolt holes, and the aforementioned backboard, the outside of the phone is in good shape overall and should clean up nicely. There is some rust on the plate at the top of the vault, who knows what the inside will look like.

How common are those faceplates?  The only ones I've ever seen have the 1969 Bell logo.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Key2871

Those are only found on early sets, usually when the set goes in for repair, they replace the faceplate and coin return ever to the newer type. After 84, they were blank, with no bell.
But those were only on brand new sets made. Unless the plate was destroyed or damaged. AT&T had their own on their private pay phones, and so marked. It's been a while since I had my old set, sold it to JK museum, in California. Now gone. But that was my first, best A set, only frankly.
Get that bad boy open and take some pictures. I'd love to see inside. But I see the vault is empty, but doors and are easy to come by still.
KEN

Key2871

Oh, if you want to remove the finger wheel, the set screw needs to go clock wise about 1and a half turns. Then turn to 0 and go a little further. If it doesn't come off, turn the set screw a little more. And replacing, don't turn the screw out too much or it will damage the dial. It uses a small Allen key, don't recall the size right now.
KEN

Sargeguy

Thanks, I have a hammer drill.  I just need to wait for the missus to be out of the house.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Key2871

That will work way faster, like three minutes. You'll be in like Flint. I always took everything apart in those, just to clean up the phone. Took the faceplate off, the asd (coin return) everything. Cleaned them up like new. Just don't over tighten the nuts for the faceplate, or those studs will break off real easy. Nice phone, I think you will really like it. Oh, semichrome polish works awesome for cleaning chrome nice and shiny.
KEN

Sigmaz

If you need any reference pics I have a 1c1 as well.

Sargeguy

Already tested Simichrome on it, works wonders!

How hard is it to find the correct vault door?  Are all the single slot doors interchangeable?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409