News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Early 70s WE single slot

Started by Sargeguy, April 29, 2018, 05:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

Right, I too had to do that. I used a Dremel tool to cut the "dome" off for lack of a better word. Using a small flat blade screw driver to pry out the levers to clear the way for the bolt to slide. I even had to drill a divot to gain a hold for a punch so I could slide the bolt and open the phone via security T key.
Even though I had Dennis and Paul for guidance,  I didn't realize that the chrome part was actually part of the plate covering the mechanical part of the lock.
That's why I thought it would be easier to use a hole saw to cut that dome part off.
KEN

Sargeguy

The hammer drill method did not work.  I have a few other projects to finish up before I tackle this one, so I am going to leave it as is for now.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Key2871

Well I didn't have a hammer drill to use, I only had a hammer and chisel, cold chisel to beat the lock loose. For me, 5 out of 6 phones the screw's came out due to the vibration. And the one was a Bear to get out. I started on a firm surface hitting not too hard, but continuous, and most, even the vault lock came out in ten minutes or less. But if someone really tightened the screw's, well it ain't gonna budge.
If you haven't, look under Western Electric payphone heading, second page, and Jim has several articles of infomation  on getting into a phone.
KEN

Sargeguy

I managed to open the lock.  After a lot of trial and error I determined that the best method for opening the lock was to order the correct key from Mike Davis.  Looks like it was last serviced/updated in '74. 

Here are some pictures from the inside:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

kleenax

Quote from: Sargeguy on May 03, 2018, 10:47:19 PM
Which lock is on these?  Is it a 29A?
Greg; when you get that 29A out, I have some if you want to put another in.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Sargeguy

Ray-I bought the correct key from Mike Davis so I do not need a new lock.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Quote from: AL_as_needed on April 29, 2018, 07:09:07 PM
"Do Not Use Foreign Coins"... Didn't think that would have been an issue  ;D

This phone was located at a bar in the middle of the seaport, I assume that had something to do with it!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

kleenax

Quote from: Sargeguy on May 23, 2018, 07:23:59 PM
Ray-I bought the correct key from Mike Davis so I do not need a new lock.
Cool!  What is he charging for 29A keys now anyway?
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Here are a couple of pics of the cards.  The paint is flaking off the backs of the cards, which doesn't show because of the white background of the scanner.  What is the best remedy for this?  Paint the back with white paint then clear-coat it?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Key2871

Are those plastic? Why not just leave them alone?
KEN

Sargeguy

Like I said, there are large patches where the white paint has flaked off.  They show up as white spots on the scan, on the phone they are black or look like dark water stains. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Key2871

Cut white paper the same size, and put that behind the cards and it should look better. Or you could use 110wt stock and that will keep any black from coming through.

I used to make reproduction cards, and dial center's, and printed them on 110 wt stock. They came out great.
It's like a 8 1/2X 11 index card. I got a ream at staples. But you should be able to get a sheet some where.
KEN

Sargeguy

Yes but it would not arrest the deterioration of the existing paint. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

compubit

Does anyone recognize the font used for the "PLEASE DIAL ALL LOCAL AND LONG DISTANCE CALLS"? The other fonts are from the Franklin Gothic family, but not this one.  I just found dial card that uses this font, and I'd like to do some reproduction cards...

Thanks!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!