"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 1500D in Aqua

Started by Sargeguy, July 06, 2011, 11:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Just negotiated a purchase price of $50 for this 1500D

An early date 6-66 and the complete lack of rust around the feet sold me on it.  I am a little concerned about the cord, it looks newer and may indicate that the phone has newer plastics, but there is no refurb stamp on the bottom.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

paul-f

Looks nice so far.

Mary Jean must have sold her soul to the devil (6-66) to get that fancy handset cover.

Were you forced to take the stand as well?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Sargeguy

"6-66: The date code of the Beast"

Regrettably I had to let the seller keep the handset cover.  The stand is still available.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

A similar phone just fetched $157.50 on eBay.  Item number:   190550371313  Nice job Dennis M.!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The phone arrived today.  The phone is slightly faded, not quite sea foam green but not aqua.  The handset cover was attached with double sided tape.  Should be a quick fix once I find my Goo-Gone.

The dates all match:

The handset cord is a little kinked but serviceable.  The line cord is thick and about 20 feet long.  It has an odd terminal on the end:  what were these used for?

One of the caps has a hairline crack.  There is a very small line on the face that looks like a stress mark, not quite a crack.  Other than that it is perfect!!!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

rdelius

That is the strain relief for the old style block
Robby

jsowers

Wind that too-tight handset cord around a wooden dowel and leave it on your car dashboard in the hot summer sun for a day and it should reform nicely. I guess it goes without saying, but also disconnect it from the phone first. Some people like to freeze them afterwards, but I just bring them inside still on the dowel and let them cool down and they seem to be fine for years afterward.
Jonathan

Sargeguy

DId I say Aqua?  I meant turquoise!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I like the fat cord, except that it is 20 feet long, which makes it a little impractical.  I swapped it out for a thinner, shorter cord with a 505A plug.  It was fastened to the ringer mounting screw-no way that was popping out.  The phone does not ring,  I'll have to take a closer look at the wiring tomorrow when I find my glasses.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409