News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1945 WESTERN ELECTRIC 302? Army Signal Corps

Started by Phoniac, January 26, 2011, 09:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phoniac

Not that I've had every WE Type 300 set but, I've had a good few and have never come across one of these. It seems to be from 1945 because every component is dated that consistently. The dial appeared to be a AE dial with the appropriate number card but, is marked Signal Corps on it's underside. The outside of the phone on the back is also marked, which appears to be sAc for Army Signal Corps. The induction coil is marked D-161107 and I don't recall ever seeing one of those. Inside on the base plate it'd stamped Fungus Treated Apr, 45 which I assume to mean this phone was over seas at one point? Also on the small wire block there is a solder point, not very well done and without anything connected to it. Could this have had a tube you think? Haven't hooked it up yet to test it yet, I picked it up about 8 months ago from a Craiglist seller for $20 and just haven't had the time. Anybody have any information on it?
Oh, And sorry for the poor pics, just used my Sony FD-85 because it's quick but, low pixels.

LarryInMichigan

Phoniac,

That definitely looks like an Army Signal Corps phone.  Is there a "TP-6-A" printed somewhere on it?  The stamp on the back of yours looks like the orange mark on the top of my FTR phone from last week (http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4133.0).  I think that your got a great deal for $20.

Larry

Phoniac

Larry, Didn't see a "TP-6-A" anywhere but with my eyes who knows. Once I get it tore down and cleaned I might find something else. For now it's just gonna sit till I have more time and warmer weather. But, there is a spot just above the rear mouse hole that looks like they painted over something. It's only about 1/2" x 1/4" rectangle spot. Tried to look at it with a magnifier but couldn't see anything.

BTW, How'd you clean your orange stamp without cleaning it off, just went around it? Mine is about gone I fear. Thanks for your reply.

LarryInMichigan

I covered the orange stamp with petroleum jelly before spraying the shell with foaming cleaner, then I carefully avoided the area when wiping.

Larry

Phoniac

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 26, 2011, 11:52:46 AM
I covered the orange stamp with petroleum jelly before spraying the shell with foaming cleaner, then I carefully avoided the area when wiping.

Larry

You using Lysol tube and tile foam aerosol? That's what I use to use but it's hard to find the original formula nowadays. Works great on plastic and plated surfaces but wouldn't use it on paint.

LarryInMichigan

I use whatever brand of foaming cleaner I find.  Currently, I have a can or two of the Target brand.  The last time I bought the Lysol brand though, it filled my house with noxious fumes, so I avoid it.

The cleaner does a really good job of removing most dirt and grime from most materials, but be very careful using it on painted surfaces.  I have damaged a couple of things with it.  On bakelite and plastic, it is fine.

Larry

paul-f

The bottom plate and markings of the TP-6-A were different than the production 302s.

http://www.paul-f.com/weTP6A.html

Is there a mounting code on the housing near the rear cord hole?

How is the handset marked?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Phoniac

Quote from: paul-f on January 26, 2011, 07:08:24 PM
The bottom plate and markings of the TP-6-A were different than the production 302s.

http://www.paul-f.com/weTP6A.html

Is there a mounting code on the housing near the rear cord hole?

How is the handset marked?

Paul, The base on mine is unmarked and the handset is the normal Bell System WE F-1 but, it does have the grommet on the handset but none in the mouse holes. They must not been all the same because it's clearly marked on the body sAc and on the dial.  And all date codes match.
Anyone seen a D161107 induction coil before?

paul-f

Did you look for a mounting code (e.g. H1) on the housing near the rear cord hole?

D- marked components are generally a challenge to find in documentation.  If they appeared in BSPs at all, it may have been only in one issue that was replaced in a year or two.  Finding the particular issue is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

It's possible that the set was basically a standard 302 that was treated for high humidity environments for possible deployment to the war in the south Pacific and was made to supplement the availability of TP-6-A sets.

I found some photos from a past auction for what may be a similar set that was marked D-170901.  Unfortunately the resolution isn't quite high enough to read the stamping on the coil.

Greg G.

Very interesting phone for a good price, nice score!  Craigslist rocks! 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phoniac

Quote from: paul-f on January 26, 2011, 10:36:56 PM
Did you look for a mounting code (e.g. H1) on the housing near the rear cord hole?

Paul, There is the spot very near the rear cord hole that has a 1/2"x 1/4" spot that was painted for some reason. This maybe covering that up.

paul-f

Painting over the mounting code sounds like something that would have been done when the phone was converted from a standard 302 (or whatever).

Sometimes it's possible to see what was under the paint by shining a light at an angle and experimenting with the light level and angle.  The paint may be very slightly raised where the original code was stamped.

oldphon

I have 3 variants of this set, all manual (non-dial).

One just like described above, plastic shell, dated 11-45, with F handset just maked "Western Electric, USA", no F1 or F1W, no mounting code.  There is a paper wirign diagram folded up under the condenser bracket, and it is for the D-167964 (manual), D-168869 (dial), and D-170901 (manual) Telephone Sets.  Unfortunately, it is very brittle and falling apart.  Hopefully someone else has a better copy!

Another, plastic shell, also dated 11-45, but with normal 101A Coil marking, and F1W handset. No MFP coating, H-1 mounting code, and with a "US" around an anchor symbol stamped on the bottom in vermillion ink.

The third is a NOS metal shell set, dated 12-41, MFP'd, Bell System marked F1 handset, and "K253" cast into the shell where one would normally see the mounting code.  This may be on all sets, but I just never noticed this.  The oddest part is the set is painted in flat black, rather than gloss.

My guess is the military just bought whatever they could get their hands on......

This is Jeremy btw, just changed my name!

Jim Stettler

Paul,
I notice the drawing # on the box is the same D# as on the phone.

I suspect THe ind. Coil # could just be the Drawing #.

For that matter, all the D#'s we see might be for  drawing #'s.
Wouldn't you like to find that cabinet full of drawings,
Just a thought,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.