News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Tom the Telephone Boy book.

Started by Greg G., September 02, 2016, 04:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

This is the only telephone related item I've bought recently.  I occasionally buy phone related stuff (mostly books) if they're interesting enough to me.  Found this on ShopGoodwill.com.  I thought it was interesting because "Telephone Boys"/operators were only used in the beginning.  They were replaced by women who were less prone to pranks and far more courteous.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Fabius

Quote from: Brinybay on September 02, 2016, 04:16:55 PM
"Telephone Boys"/operators were only used in the beginning.  They were replaced by women who were less prone to pranks and far more courteous.

And they smelled better.

I also have this book. I wonder what that 1967 inscription means?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Greg G.

Quote from: Fabius on September 02, 2016, 09:07:41 PM
And they smelled better.

Quote from: Fabius on September 02, 2016, 09:07:41 PM

I also have this book. I wonder what that 1967 inscription means?

1961.  I wondered that myself.  Frank V. Webster isn't a real person per Wikipedia:  Frank V. Webster was a pseudonym controlled by the Stratemeyer Syndicate, the first book packager of books aimed at children. This pseudonym was used on books for boys from the early 1900s through the 1930s. Many of these books are available at Project Gutenberg.  Alvin Young is a fairly common name, lots of them came up in a google search.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford