"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ringer Identification

Started by BOB BONCHAK, October 13, 2008, 12:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOB BONCHAK

Hi All:
I have a ringer assembly that I'm trying to ID, and learn something about.  No case.  Two wire leads, each one goes to each one of the two coils.  Two bells and a centered clapper.  One of the coils has the following markings:  1)  "AECO" in a diamond outline (AE on top, CO below, separated by a black bar);  2)  "SL  D-56515-A";  3)  (L) Coil - "D-283750-A" (2000 ohm), (R) Coil - "D-283749-A" (2000 ohm);  4)  "USE .4 MF CONDENSOR. 
I have not checked the coil continuity or applied voltage to the unit (90 VAC?) as yet.
Anyone have any information about this ringer?  While I'm at it, how do I wire it to work with my W.E. 202 set?  TIA
BOB

benhutcherson

It sounds a lot like the ringer in my AE 40.

I think that you should just be able to hook a .4 μF capacitor in series with it, and hook it across the line. Of course, you would want to use some sort of non-polarized capacitor.

BOB BONCHAK

THAT'S IT!  Wish I knew how to post pictures, would save lots of my wordy descriptions.  How do I hook it up to my W.E. 202 (if possible)?  TIA
BOB

bingster

Bob, do you have an E1 or an F1 handset on your 202?
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Bob;
It's very easy to post pictures here. Just click "additional Options", below message box, then if you want one picture, browse your computer to select it, make sure it's compressed. If you want to add more photos, just select "more attachments",  for the number of additional photos you want to add. About the easiest method I'vew seen for posting to Forums.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BOB BONCHAK

Bibgster:
My 202 has the E1 handset.  Thanks for your assistance.
BOB

bingster

Here's the reason I asked, Bob.  If you have a 202, especially one with an E1 handset, you shouldn't connect it directly to the wall, or even to just a ringer.  It should be connected to a subset.  If you don't have a subset, you can use the network out of a parts phone.    Or, you can use the base of a parts phone as a subset, using it's network and ringer. 

Connecting an telephone with an E1 to a line without a subset or network in between the phone and the wall will allow too much current to flow through the handset, weakening the magnetic pull in the receiver, and causing sound to be weak.  Once that damage is done, it can't be undone.

You can get away with it with an F1 handset, but not an E1.
= DARRIN =