News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NET&T Postcard

Started by Fabius, September 20, 2014, 09:29:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

I came across this NT&T postcard. What's unusual about it is that the 1908 logo is marked New England Telephone & Telegraph. These Bell Telephone advertising postcards usually have  American Telephone & Telegraph on the logo. Also it's the first I've seen with a message from the "Local Manager".

http://tinyurl.com/p4xpogs
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

I have a nearly complete collection of these and they are all AT&T and Associated Companies.  I actually had this one on my watch list waiting to see if the price dropped but now "you've forced my hand!" and it's on it's way.  I'll have an extra A.T.&T. version available if anyone is interested.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

I've started collecting these Bell Telephone postcards. Since these have and are being reproduced I only buy the ones that have a stamp and are postmarked.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

I have an extra of R-6 "THE SOCIAL CALL BY BELL TELEPHONE" if you need one. 

Are the repros from PHONECO?  I double-checked mine, comparing the lithography on the blank ones with that of the postmarked ones and they all check out.  I don't have any reproductions to campare but the  rosettes from the off-set printing process are pretty distinctive.  That pattern would be difficult to reproduce unless you were using the original plates.  Otherwise you would get a fuzzy "copy of a copy" effect.  Here is a close up that shows the rosette pattern produced on an original card:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Quote from: Sargeguy on September 20, 2014, 12:17:14 PM

Are the repros from PHONECO? 

I saw them there about 4-5 weeks ago. PM sent.

Thanks for the good info on the postcards. I also like the postmarked ones as it adds a little info and history about the card. PM sent.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

paul-f

Bell System postcards were highlighted in TCI's Singing Wires in October 1996 and April 2006.

SW just ran good quality scans of the complete set of 12 in the series in the Bonus Pages for January thru June 2014.

In addition, there's an article reproduced in the July BP that covers the NET&T variation with marketing messages and more.

The September 2014 BP includes scans of 6 earlier Bell System postcards.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line