Main Menu

The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation

Started by HobieSport, November 23, 2008, 01:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

QuoteSuch grace, such form...

Yes indeed.  Oh and Marilyn's ok too.

HobieSport

See? That's what I mean. Starting this thread many moons ago I was asking if I was the only one who got distracted by phones in movies. Okay, I admit, I did notice Marylin in this case, but dang, I noticed the brown cloth cord too! Sick.;)
-Matt

Greg G.

Quote from: jsbrugg on June 30, 2009, 02:20:15 AM
I just happened to catch this film on Hulu yesterday and I happened to recognise this phone thanks to Stephen Furley's thread about the British 300 and the WE 302s.  They happened to showcase the phone in the middle and I recognised it by the little pullout tray at the base.

The movie is called Lisa and I don't know when it was released, but it took place in Europe in the late 40s.  This scene has the lead (a Dutch Policeman) in an office in Scotland Yard.

Silly me, I clicked on the arrow in the middle to watch the movie...
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

I just watched "It Happened One Night" (Clark Gable, Claudette Colbert), and it's rife with old phones.  But lacking the ability to screen capture, I was trying to see if I could find a scene shot online, and happened across this website,  Telephones in the Movies and on TV:

http://www.paul-f.com/telmovie.htm
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HobieSport

Here are a couple of screen shots (cropped) from "It Happened One Night", 1934.
-Matt

HobieSport

Some screen shots from "The Battle of Britain". I hadn't watched the movie in years; it looks and sounds great after the remaster in it's original panoramic glory. I remember watching it on it's release in 1969 at our local drive-in. Remember those? ;)

Great to see so many real planes used in a movie; Spitfires, Hurricanes, Hienkels, 109s, Stukas... I'll take that to any CGI effects any day! Not to mention the lovely Susannah York. Some things just can't be replicated by computer...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064072/
-Matt

McHeath

It's something to see all the old school way of making movies, using the actual stuff and real people inside them.  Rewatched The Road Warrior over the summer, real car crashes with actual humans at the wheel, I found myself wincing more knowing that people could, and some did, really get hurt.

The Operator

Quote from: HobieSport on September 01, 2009, 12:10:41 PM
Great to see so many real planes used in a movie; Spitfires, Hurricanes, Hienkels, 109s, Stukas...

As a scale modeler of WWII aircraft... you're talkin' my language! ~The Operator
Ever get the urge to call the number on the dial card and say "Hey, I have your phone."

HobieSport

Quote from: The Operator
As a scale modeler of WWII aircraft... you're talkin' my language! ~The Operator

Cool! Do you have any pictures to share of your models? Maybe post them in a new thread in the off-topic section? I'm not a modeler, but really appreciate the art of realistic miniatures.  Spitfires are my favorite WWII aircraft, as the Sopwith Camel is my favorite from WWI, but I'm probably biased with my Brit ancestry...

When I was a kid in the early 60s, on Saturday mornings a crop duster flew the fields near our home in a Curtiss Jenny. Better than Saturday morning TV!  Gosh knows what they were putting on the fields though...
-Matt

The Operator

I've been meaning to do that since I got a decent digital camera. It's more of a fall/winter season thing for me as it's difficult to airbrush with the humidity. It won't be long now. ~The Operator
Ever get the urge to call the number on the dial card and say "Hey, I have your phone."

Phonesrfun

Speaking of phones in the movies....

A few years ago TCM had a 1960's Sidney Poitier (sp?) movie, and I can't remember its name.  Filmed in Seattle, the plot was a woman who had taken a whole bottle of sleeping pills before the days of 911 and caller ID.  Sidney was a volunteer in a suicide call center who took a call from her.  She was calling from a hotel room.  There was a lot of shots of central office guys running around tracing the call.  They barely got there in time, but the woman survived.

Any way, there was little in terms of old telephones all by themselves and a lot of central office shots, but it was kind of an interesting drama.

-Bill G

HobieSport

The Sidney Poitier movie is "The Slender Thread", 1965:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059729/

Sounds like a good drama and worth a watch. Thanks!
-Matt

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: HobieSport on September 02, 2009, 12:05:08 AM
The Sidney Poitier movie is "The Slender Thread", 1965:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059729/

Sounds like a good drama and worth a watch. Thanks!

Odd, I can't find it on Netflix.
- Mike Row
e

HobieSport

Here's an AE 40 in the movie "My Family" ("Mi Familia") 1995.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113896/

I'm not sure how authentic it would be to have an AE phone in Los Angeles in the early 1950s. I just thought it would be a WE phone, being on the West Coast? Would the Bell System have allowed an AE phone in California in those days?
-Matt