News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 223G payphone upper housing lock & key

Started by Jf510, July 21, 2015, 03:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jf510

Hi, from reading in the internet I see that a correct lock and key for the upper housing of a Western Electric 223G payphone is a 10G which seems to be very hard to find. I also read that a 29S would work although the lock is mainly for an Automatic Electric payphone. Would a 29S work and look fine and be a good replacement for my phone or am I better off looking for a 10G. Thanks.

Dan F

29S will fit also . ebay has one for 84. The 10G is a Western Electric lock.

Here is a link to a Northern Electric 21B lock which will fit the upper on a 3 slot Western.

It will also fit Automatic Electric uppers also. Hurry before it gond. They go quick.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-slot-payphone-lock-Upper-Housing-21B-Northern-Electric-Western-Electric-AE-/201366810208?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ee265ae60

poplar1

$84 + shipping is ridiculous! I don't know how Mark gets those prices! Here's what Jody is selling them for: $30 for either WE 10-H or AE 29-S.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/charlemont626/m.html?item=221830277599&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jim Stettler

Some payphone collectors like to use 29S locks on the upper housing of all their 3 slot payphones.

Of all the upper housing locks, the 29S key is the least likely to break, (due to it's cut ).

These collectors typically have the original and/or proper lock and key stashed as well.

Jim S.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jf510

I have asked a few sellers on ebay about the 29S and if it will fit and some say yes and some say no so I knew I would get the correct info in here. Thanks..  :)

poplar1

WE 10-H will also fit; it's just the updated version of 10-G. I agree that 29-S key is the least likely to break. Paul Vavarchak told me always to push in on the upper housing and not to force the key. This is especially true if it is a repro key.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jf510

I ended up buying the 29S for $30 on ebay so thanks to all for your advice  :)