News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is your Opinion on OPW/Odis & Phoneco Cloth Covered Cords

Started by Doug Rose, June 08, 2011, 01:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I am curious to see what your opinion is on reproduction cloth cords. Do you like them? Do they look like the real deal to you? For you purists, does it make your phone a Frankenphone (hate that term)?

Myself...even when Odis made them, I did not like them. To me they stick out like a sore them. Curly cords are too long, cloth is too soft. Spades are never right. They just don't look right to me. I never use them. I buy beater phones for parts and use originals. If I don't have an original, I wait.

I have been told by people on the Forum, that if you have parts from two like phones: its a Frankenphone (really hate that term). I strongly disagree with this, but that's just me.

What is the opinion of the Forum? I think I have been crystal clear on my opinion of Phoneco, OPW and the others; repro or extremely expensive or both for parts! I do not use them. I wait.

Opinions?....Doug
Kidphone

dsk

Not easy to get original Cloth Covered Cords, so it ends up with making a choice. Sometimes a newer but original cord would be the right, within what the rapair would have been in those days repair was done.  I would not deem this as a frankenphone. If you use a fake Cloth Covered Cord it is less good.
A real frankenphone contains parts which is totally strange, and look so.
My WE 554 with Norwegian handset is a real frankenphone, even when it looks OK for my family but not for a collector. And the handset is more comfortable than the original missing handset.

dsk

Dennis Markham

Doug, I agree that a phone is a Frankenphone only when it is made up of parts from several different manufacturers.  I think someone made the comparison before.......take a Dodge, put on Ford Fenders, a GM grille, etc.  That to me is a Frankencar.   Taking an F1 handset off a damaged 302 and putting it on a D body phone does not make it a Frankenphone.  My opinion.

As far as the cords go I have purchased several sets from Odis and also some from Oldphoneworks.  I agree that the coiled cloth cords were/are way too long and the coils on the one I bought seemed way too large.  I had one custom made in the past in that I asked for a specific length.  It turned out OK but took a long time.  For the most part I buy the brown cloth cords with the cloth conductors.  Recently they began offering them with plastic wire internal conductors which cannot be seen on the outside.

On one particular green cloth cord I have the cloth is way too soft and seems to have pulled away from the internal conductors.  So the quality of that cord was less than desirable.   I also bought a black coiled three conductor cord (vinyl)  that was tri-folded in the plastic wrapper when I got it.  When I stretched the cord out straight a couple of the coils cracked.  It was that dry.  I'm sure I would have been given a refund but I just never got around to asking for one.  

I agree that original cords are nice when available.  Putting an old cord that is dull looking on a phone that is polished up real nice to me is like putting old shoe laces on new shoes.  It just doesn't look right.  But for that special phone I'm going to keep in my collection, I'd prefer an original cord.  But the reproduction cords to allow for a practical alternative when one wants to use the phone every day.

Doug Rose

"Putting an old cord that is dull looking on a phone that is polished up real nice to me is like putting old shoe laces on new shoes."

Dennis...try Avon SSS on old dried out Brown cloth cords. Wait until you see the difference. It makes them more pliable as well....Doug
Kidphone

Phonesrfun

I guess there are two issues here.  One issue is how close the OPW cords come to looking like the original fabric cords of the day.  The other is whether a reproduction cord contributes to a phone being a Frankenphone.

I think the functional quality of the OPW cords are great.  I have never had an issue with them, both when Odis was making them and now that OPW makes them.  However, functional quality is different from the looks.

The cords do look different from originals, there is no question.  The straight brown cords are the least different in my opinion from the originals than the colored and the fabric coiled cords.  Obviously, the machinery that Western Electric and other manufacturers of the time used is different than Don Woodbury is using today.  It may be safe to say that if Don or anyone else were to have the actual old machinery, it would probably take up blocks and blocks of space and the cords would cost one heck of a lot more than they do now.

So, I guess from the standpoint of the looks of the cords, we probably have to take what we can get.  I am ok with that on most of my phones, and I don't mind displaying them with OPW cords at all.  I do have a few phones that have cords that are original and when those are in good shape, I enjoy having the original cords even more.

So, yes, the cords don't look as close to originals as we would like, but where are we going to find anything better, and at what cost?  (My opinion)

Are they Frankenphone?  In my opinion, no!

To me, "Franknephone" (I hate the term too) would be something that is kludged together and perhaps deceptive.  

Of all the parts on any given phone that got replaced the most, it was the cords.  Not very many phones have ever made it to the present day with thier original cords.  That is one reason why they eventually came out with the modular cords.  Replacing a cord does not do anything intrusive to a phone, and the phone was made in such a way that the cord ends were made for easy replacement by the installer.  Replacement cords were carried on the truck.

New-old-stock (NOS) cords are largely unavailable.

So, if I had a phone with shot and ratty cords, or maybe even one with a cut cord, and I had the options of keeping said phone in a box and not show, display, or use it at all, versus putting an OPW cord on it and using and displaying the phone, I would choose the latter in a heartbeat.

Since cords were a replaceable item, and we cannot get the exact matches of cords as the originals, we have OPW and some others to thank for their being cords at all.  I certainly do not mind the slight (but clearly noticeable) differences between them and originals.

So, for me, a replacement cord does not a Frankenphone make.
-Bill G

Jester

Quote from: Doug Rose on June 08, 2011, 01:56:20 PM

I have been told by people on the Forum, that if you have parts from two like phones: its a Frankenphone (really hate that term). I strongly disagree with this, but that's just me.

I vaguely recall this discussion, and would have to agree that an original replacement cord does not make your prize a Frankenphone.  I also do not apply that term to phones that have been refurbed one or more times.  I might refer to them as "mutts", especially if the dated parts are far flung & depict the many times it had been recycled.  Since it was a company practice to rebuild the turn ins & send them back out, I would consider these as legitimate as the "virgin" phones that are still out there.  

As for the repro. cords, I have bought a few and consider them a better alternative to using mangled, frayed originals.  I would agree that they look different from the real cords up close, but, they are sometimes the only way to make the phone useable again.  As long as the product is of a quality that I can speak clearly with no static, I can live with the cloth being a different weave or the color being slightly off.
Stephen

Doug Rose

Bill and Stephen.....thanks for you input on this. It looks like we are in agreement.....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

What Bill said.  I don't have any problem with using their repro cloth cords.  As far as other repro parts, I only use them if absolutely necessary, e.g. I have an E1 handset with a repro spit cup, but it came that way.  I don't plan to swap it out unless I happen across a boxful of original spit cups that need a home.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

deedubya3800

Seems much like cords on a telephone are like tires on a classic car. Original tires aren't likely gonna be any count, but there are some reproductions available out there to preserve that look.

I'll be ordering some of OPW's cords soon, and the main reason I don't want to seek out originals is that I just know they'll become damaged at some point if this phone is out in the open, and especially if it's used. I would hate that to happen to good original cords.The only telephone I have with original cloth cords is my pre-war ivory, and I keep it in a clear plastic case. The original owner did well to keep it stored away for 70 years!

Kenny C

I am like Doug, I ONLY use original cords. I use my 302 and the cords on it are in great shape, carry voice clear, no static if the cords are moved, and they are from 1940 and 1956.

I don't necessarily think that old cords are not good for everyday use, but if the cord is still presentable and the conductors are in good shape I see no reason why they shouldn't.

I look on my shelf and see 6 phones that predate 1950 and the cord's are from the 40s and 50s, I swap them out and use them regularly.

I really rather would have originals or nothing at all. They may not look brand new but I'm just glad that they work after 60-70 years.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Sargeguy

I try to use original cords, but anything I sell usually has OPW cords.  Also it can be tough to find some of those old green cords for the early candlesticks,so I use a lot of OPW.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Ed D

Quote from: Doug Rose on June 08, 2011, 04:25:54 PM
"Putting an old cord that is dull looking on a phone that is polished up real nice to me is like putting old shoe laces on new shoes."

Dennis...try Avon SSS on old dried out Brown cloth cords. Wait until you see the difference. It makes them more pliable as well....Doug

And it will smell nice too.   ;)   But won't it stain any table surface or table covering as the SSS leaches out?

Doug Rose

Quote from: Ed D on June 12, 2011, 05:00:23 PM
Quote from: Doug Rose on June 08, 2011, 04:25:54 PM

And it will smell nice too.   ;)   But won't it stain any table surface or table covering as the SSS leaches out?

it dries in a few days. I don't soak it in it, I just wipe it on until the color is uniform....Doug
Kidphone

JimH

The only coiled cord I've ordered from OPW was a coiled cloth ivory cord.  I was never happy with the large "stiff" characteristics of it, so I never installed it on a phone.  It just never looked right to me.  I'd prefer to replace it with a new, straight ivory cord in this case.  I did have my ivory 354 with its original LONG ivory coiled cloth cord in the kitchen right next to the stove.   It got too close to a pot on the stove and the result were burn marks...UGH...I was so upset.  So I agree for everyday use they should be carefully handled.
Jim H.

Ed D

Quote from: JimH on June 13, 2011, 12:00:54 AM
The only coiled cord I've ordered from OPW was a coiled cloth ivory cord.  I was never happy with the large "stiff" characteristics of it, so I never installed it on a phone.  It just never looked right to me.  I'd prefer to replace it with a new, straight ivory cord in this case.  I did have my ivory 354 with its original LONG ivory coiled cloth cord in the kitchen right next to the stove.   It got too close to a pot on the stove and the result were burn marks...UGH...I was so upset.  So I agree for everyday use they should be carefully handled.
JimH,
If you are unhappy with that coiled ivory cord, are you looking to get rid of it?  I may be interested, if the price is right.
Ed