News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Do anyone collects WW2 field telephones

Started by mienaichizu, February 27, 2009, 12:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mienaichizu

does anyone collects WW2 field telephones?

Below is a German WW2 field telephones in Bakelite casing

McHeath

Don't have any, but a few years ago I almost bought one for a song at a thrift store in a po-dunk little town near here.  Looked like it had been there forever, still regret not buying it.  It would hilarious to take to school and show the kiddos an early "cell phone". 

HobieSport

I thought about it, because I like WW2 stuff, but since I can't actually use the phones I wasn't so interested.  I do have a couple of US Army Signal Corps phones; a NE Gallion from WW2 and a later WE500.

Here are a couple of interesting Japanese field phones from WW2.  I like the nifty wooden cases.

Bill

Mienaichizu -

For years I had two of the phones in your picture. As I recall, you could get a hell of a belt off those two round studs in the top center if you so much as moved the magneto crank handle! I actually hooked them up between the kids' bedrooms and let them play with them. Eventually one of the cases cracked, for no apparent reason. So, seeing the handwriting on the wall, I put them up on eBay and made it someone else's worry. Fun phones, though. There must be a ton of them out there, since the pictures, anyway, are quite common. One of them appears in the movie Valkyrie.

Bill

Sargeguy

I have a couple of WECO WWII era sound powered handsets.  They are marked USN.  They are neat to fool around with.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

Yeah, I know, I've posted this picture before, but I like it so much I'm posting it again.  The second picture of Signal-Corp boot camp amuses me.

mienaichizu

Quote from: Sargeguy on March 01, 2009, 02:32:17 PM
I have a couple of WECO WWII era sound powered handsets.  They are marked USN.  They are neat to fool around with.

I'd like to have one but can't find it here in the Philippines

yes it appeared in the first part of the movie

McHeath

That picture of all the guys up on telephone poles looks like the audition for the TV show Green Acres!  What was that guys name who used the butt set on top of the telephone pole?

Dennis Markham

Heath, are you talking about the famous attorney, Oliver Wendel Douglas and his wife Lisa?

McHeath

Yeah, I think that Oliver was the guy. The one who rented a rooster.

Greg G.

In case anybody is interested in these:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/clt/1135548671.html ( dead link 04-19-21 )
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

dsk

Time for waking up this thread.
I have some EE-8 and some FF-33 from WWii Extreme quality on those, if one of those should be deemed to be better than the other I am tending to go for the FF-33, but the EE-8 has a CB function too.  I have newer field telephones too, and then the US Ta/43 (or 312) PT is pretty good too, but the hook-switch is a weak point, and the generator is not as serviceable as the one in the EE-8 so the EE-8 still wins  :)

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke