"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Looking for a Wiring Diagram for a WE CS500DM and a Picture of a WE4293 Network

Started by gands-antiques, January 19, 2013, 01:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gands-antiques

Hello,

Will someone please post a wiring diagram for a WE CS500DM and also a picture of a WE 4293 network.  

I'm transferring the dial and ringer from a 500DM with a 425 network to a CS500DM with a 4293 network and I can't locate an accurate wiring diagram or a picture of a 4293 network.  I can't locate the L2 terminal on the top of the 4293 network.

Thank you,
Gary

TelePlay

I think this is what you want.

Post pictures of your phone with the dial removed.

Wiring diagram is from the TCI Library for a touch tone phone with a polarity guard, not a rotary dial phone. Photo from the CRPF by McHeath. Network layout from CRPF by crossedwire.

The layout is upside down when compared to the network photo.

This thread my also help you.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5910.msg70768#msg70768

gands-antiques

Pictures of my 500DM with a 4293 network.  Is there a L2 terminal on the network or is the GN terminal used for L2?

Thanks,
Gary
==========================
Quote from: gands-antiques on January 19, 2013, 01:13:09 PM
Hello,

Will someone please post a wiring diagram for a WE CS500DM and also a picture of a WE 4293 network.  

I'm transferring the dial and ringer from a 500DM with a 425 network to a CS500DM with a 4293 network and I can't locate an accurate wiring diagram or a picture of a 4293 network.  I can't locate the L2 terminal on the top of the 4293 network.

Thank you,
Gary

twocvbloke

Looking at the diagram, Green goes to L1 and Red goes to A, odd considering older styles of network used L1 and L2 terminals... ???

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 19, 2013, 04:23:34 PM
Looking at the diagram, Green goes to L1 and Red goes to A, odd considering older styles of network used L1 and L2 terminals... ???

Look at the wiring diagram. There is a polarity guard circuit between the line cord and the network and it shows a TT dial pad so there really isn't isn't an L2 terminal on the network, just a connection/tie point for the guard circuit. That wiring diagram may only be for a 2500. However, that network pictured is on a dial phone but the line cord connections are hidden by the rotary dial and apparently wired to work.

I don't see a polarity guard on the blue 500DM so others more electronically knowledgeable can explain this, or provide the correct wiring for this 500. The wiring diagram I posted may not be correct for this phone if it doesn't have a polarity guard because it is not a TT pad, it's a rotary dial.

G-Man

Quote from: gands-antiques on January 19, 2013, 01:13:09 PM
Hello,

Thank you,
Gary

Would it be simpler for you to simply switch the plastic housings and dial-plates?

If not, it may prove easier to remove the dial one lead at a time while connecting the wires from the new one at each step.

I mention these methods since it may be easier than attempting to provide step-by-step instructions.

As a side-note, I don't understand why you are transplanting components from nearly identical sets. Is one not working correctly?

Thanks         

gands-antiques

Thanks G-Man...

I did switch the dial wires one lead at a time but it still doesn't work.  It original one worked before I switched the bases.

I'm switching bases because two of the rubber feet were melted on the original one and I didn't want to replace rivets to change them.

Thanks,
Gary  

G-Man

Quote from: gands-antiques on January 20, 2013, 07:57:42 AM
Thanks G-Man...

I did switch the dial wires one lead at a time but it still doesn't work.  It original one worked before I switched the bases.

I'm switching bases because two of the rubber feet were melted on the original one and I didn't want to replace rivets to change them.

Thanks,
Gary  

See if this helps...

gands-antiques

gands-antiques

I tried to wire my phone using the attached 4293 network and I ran into some blocks....

My CONN block has a G, R & Y leads but not G, R, Y, & BK like the diagram shows.

My Ringer has a BK, S, S-R & BK leads but I don't see where the S & S-R leads should be connected.  

I haven't figured out what color leads from the Dial should be connected to what terminals?
Only the G lead is labeled.

The diagram show the Silver (s) lead from the Line Switch connecting to the L2 terminal but the 4293 Network does not have an L2 terminal?

The 4293 diagram shows a jumper between L2 to A in the Network wiring column.  Since the 4293 does not have an L2 terminal I'm wondering if terminal A is the same as L2??

If anyone can help me with these questions so I can get my CS500DM with a 4293 network working I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks,
Gary

Phonesrfun

L2 on any network is only a passive terminal used to connect one side of the line (usually the green wire) to the hookswitch lead.  There are no internal connections within the network to the L2 terminal.  If the original phone has a polarity guard, then one side of the polarity guard served that porpose.  Any unused terminal can be used as an L2.

Depending on the ringer, you would probably tape and not use the slate/red and slate ringer leads, but that is dependant on the ringer
-Bill G

poplar1

Neither of these diagrams is helpful because neither applies to a CS500DM.

The first diagram  is for a 2554BMPG. G means with a polarity guard. Rotary phones do not require a polarity guard.

The second one is a wall phone. The 523A plug is for a wall phone, and the 630 Connecting Block (metal jack) is for a wall phone.  However, this diagram doesn't make any sense  because it is showing a P3A ringer ( used in Trimline/2554/late Princess/decorator phones) which was never used in a 554.

The CS500DM (CS=Consumer Sales) is a "1-Party" set so it does not have 4 wires to the ringer as both of the ones in the diagrams above have. Because there are only 2 leads (red and black) from the ringer, the black ringer wire goes to L1 (as with the 500DM) and there would be a jumper from L2 to A. WE just eliminated the L2 terminal and jumper and instead connected the green incoming line to L1 and the red incoming line to A. They also connected the yellow hookswitch wire to A in the CS500DM instead of L2 in the 500DM.

The red ringer wire connects to K.

Thus, the ringer path is incoming line (red) to A, thru capacitor to K,  to red ringer lead, through ringer coil to  black ringer lead to L1 (green  incoming line).

The 623D connector should not have a yellow wire since the yellow wire is used only for 500DM or 2500DM or 2500DMG. So you can just insulate the spade lug on the yellow wire.  
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

I reread your post and see that you are apparently using a 4-wire ringer and not the 2-wire ringer that was originally in the CS500DM.

In that case, you can rob a screw from one of the terminals that has 2 screws and move it to either S or T. Then use that terminal to tie together the Red-Slate and Slate ringer wires.

gands-antiques

Thank you very much.....

So, for clarification....I only use the red and black ringer wires and the red wire goes to terminal K and the black wire goes to L1...Is this correct?

What about my CONN block where I have a G, R & Y leads but not G, R, Y, & BK like the diagram shows?

Also, can you tell me what color wire from the Dial should be connected to what terminals on the network?

Thanks again!!
Gary

poplar1

If you have 4 ringer wires, connect red-slate and slate wires on spare terminal S or T.

Ignore the diagrams. They are not for a CS500DM.

The diagram showing yellow and black from the 523A connector going to G is for some unknown wall phone. You need only red and green for dial tone.

The two white dial leads connect to R and GN to short out the receiver while you are dialing.

The two blue dial leads (or blue and green) go to F and RR.