News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Unknown European Phones???

Started by DavePEI, October 18, 2013, 03:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Does your PTT telephone have any markings that suggest a manufacturing date?
Mine has a gold color decal on the bottom that states "CE 51".

It would be interesting to determine the time line of handsets used on this model. As you can see mine has a different handset which also has the Ericsson logo.
Mine has a two-part transmitter cap, the grill is an insert into the screw ring, a construction that seems to have fallen out of favor at some time.

Perhaps Remco has some info on that?

DavePEI

Quote from: unbeldi on October 20, 2013, 10:18:15 PM
Does your PTT telephone have any markings that suggest a manufacturing date?
Mine as a gold color decal on the bottom that states "CE 51".

It would be interesting to determine the time line of handsets used on this model. As you can see mine has a different handset which also has the Ericsson logo.
Mine has a two-part transmitter cap, the grill is an insert into the screw ring, a construction that seems to have fallen out of favor at some time.

Perhaps Remco has some info on that?
No, the only bottom markings are "Made In Holland", a large Rijen stamping with Ericsson stamped across it from corner to corner, and the number 11420/2 - nothing else, and I can't find a date anywhere else... Oops, did find one other date - on the receiver element, and it is PTT-12-51. Transmitter element is MIA.

Earlier, though the rest of the phone is perfect - even to the point of no dust, I discovered that whoever put the station wire on the handset, broke the thread on the receiver end of the handset - there is just enough thread left that the cap can be screwed on, but not securely. So, I may be in for a handset for it as well...

If the rest of the phone weren't so perfect, and had the phone not been free, it probably wouldn't have been worth it, but I do want to fix it up, as it is otherwise perfect.

I have to say, I like this phone, otherwise I probably wouldn't bother!

I have no idea how it got to the Island, whether it was one of those distributed by RS, or whether it was brought by one of the many who came to PEI from Holland in the 50s. The lady who gave it to me got it at a recent yard sale from a Dutch couple.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Quote from: poplar1 on October 20, 2013, 06:44:03 PM
Dear Sinterklaas, I would like.....
Sinterklaas does come in December, doesn't he! :D

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

unbeldi

DavePEI

Thanks to Remco, a new handset and cord are on their way for the PTT phone. Remco brought it over from Holland and mailed it while he was in California. I will post an updated photo when it comes and I have it on and the phone finished...

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Quote from: DavePEI on December 08, 2013, 11:04:29 PM
Thanks to Remco, a new handset and cord are on their way for the PTT phone. Remco brought it over from Holland and mailed it while he was in California.
Sinterklaas came through! My handset from Remco arrived today, and I have the new handset and cord on the phone replacing the broken one and station cord. Now, I had to guess a little while connecting the new handset, as the cord on previously was station wire, and not the correct colour codes, but I think I have it correct - the red lead from the handset on terminal 5, blue on terminal 6, and yellow on terminal 7.

If it is a bit warmer tomorrow, I will take it over to the museum and test it with the BK Analyzer. For now, just a bit of polishng to do.

The phone looks great. It is exactly the correct handset and correct cord and strain relief, and the shine on the new handset matches the finish of the phone (which other than the handset and cord was pretty well NOS.

Happy, Happy, Happy!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Matilo Telephones

Congratulations. It is complete again. Very good.

It is in great shape. Original number card. I like that sort of detail. Also the retaining bolt of the finger wheel seems to have an undamaged paint finish. That is often damaged.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

unbeldi

DavePEI

Quote from: unbeldi on December 12, 2013, 06:32:14 PM
I like this type of phone.
Mine has an overly stretched handset cord, and it is a bit stiff, surely could use a new one too, and the line cord is not original.
The Bakelite finish was very dull when I got it, but once a while I polish away on it a little bit and it is gaining a little more shine every time.

Yes, I like them, too, though almost all of my phones are North American. I haven't buffed or polished it at all yet - it will take a beautiful shine, as there isn't one scratch on it or on the handset. And, other than the handset, it was free, Inside the phone, there wasn't even a spot of dust!

I notice the outside of the phone has picked up a couple of cat hairs  (wonder how that happened?) ! They will go with the buffing, but the phone is in remarkable shape!

Kind of nice to work on a non North American phone for a change. The other non NA phones I have are a JYDSK  magneto wall phone, and a BTC wall magneto set.

You know where I got my new handset - you might try emailing him and seeing if it might be possible to get a new cord from him...

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

By the way, I got a bit of a scare when I went to take the above photo of the phone. I got out my Canon A-640 to take the photo, as it is small and easy to use, opened it up, set up the shot, then hit the macro button. Poof! The display died! I finally got out my DSLR, the Canon T1i and took the above photo amidst lots of concern about the A 640.

After I was done, I got out the A 640 again to have a look at it again, and only then realized when I hit the Macro button, I had also at the same time hit the Display button below and to its left, effectively shutting off its display. Whew! Just a matter of touching the display button again, and all back to normal.

In the 4 or 5 years of using the A 640, and thousands of shots, this had never happened to me. Me and my big fingers!

I love the 640 for its compact size and good quality photos - I would have hated to lose that one. I love the T1i for high quality/very high resolution shots, but it is more cumbersome than the A 640.

So, with much relief, I am back to my normal two daily drivers!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001