News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Extreme shrinkage on Automatic Electric Ivory Type 40

Started by Jon Kolger, August 02, 2013, 08:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Kolger

I thought you all might like to see this phone I recently re-discovered in my storage unit.  It is an AE Type 40 in Ivory that has a bit of a shrinkage problem.  I bought it about 12 years ago just to get the gold trim pieces.  It has shrunk down around the dial and the hookswitch inside so much that it has split right down the middle.  I already removed the base and used it for a previous project.

Doug Rose

Jon...that is amazing. Was it it a hot environment? Looks like it was cooked. Such a shame for a beautiful phone...Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Wow. Now I don't feel quite so bad about my two basket case colored AE 40's! A red one and an ivory one with "issues" but not quite that bad!

Pretty hard to do but I guess once all the parts are removed the rest is pretty much garbage.

Does anyone remember if it was on here that someone posted pictures of a badly shrunken 40 that had been stored in a garage attic in Florida?

Terry

AE_Collector

Jon Kolger

Texas IS a hot environment!  103 degrees here yesterday... should be over 100 for the rest of the week, if not the month.  I bought it from a Texas collector, so it probably spent some time in a hot Texas attic or garage.