News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My 1950 RCA Victor 16" television Family set replacement.

Started by Bill Cahill, February 16, 2009, 10:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

You have skills, bill.  I got a headache just looking at all those capacitors and what-not.
- Tom

Bill Cahill

Thanks. It's alot of work, but, since this is replacing the family set, it's definately worth the extra trouble. I'll be changing parts.
I want this set to look just like the family set looked.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Bill Cahill

And, another picture.....

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

McHeath

Looking at that pic with all the wires I see the problem.  You need to connect the brown do-hickie on the left, kind of the left of center, to the beige gizmo near the upper right, no not that right your other right.  There, that ought to do it. 

And I won't even charge.   ;D

Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill

The  dealer I bought two new tubes for tv from on ebay appers to have cheated me out of my money.

Here are more pictures. Notice oldest one before I started to rebuild the chassis.
Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill

Well, last night I finally tried the set with two new tubes in it.
Only one thing to say... NOT!
It PLAYS!!!

It is now back to working order. Apparently, my 5U4 rectifier shorted out.
I still have some issues to repair, but, it's playing.
I suspect my days of short circuits in this tv are over.
Please see the following two pictures I took last night.
Had it running on line voltage for 45 min., last night.
Bill Cahill

Dennis Markham

That's pretty cool Bill.  You should be proud.  The guy that put that TV together for the first time never dreamed it would be working in the year 2009!

Steve

Nice going Bill. you have way more patience than me.
thats a beautiful set you have.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Bill Cahill

Thanks, guys. Though it still has some issues, I have a feeling I'm coming around the bend.
This latest failure was merely a tube shorting out, which to me is very good news.
Bill Cahill  ;D

contraste

I love the stand you have mounted the CRT on ;)

Great work Bill.

I used to work as a technician at the Museum of the Moving Image here in London (now sadly closed) and we had a number of working displays with vintage cathode ray tubes.
Your pics brought back happy memories (and not so happy when our exhibits of old equipment refused to work and I was on maintenance duty) of my time there.

Lee

Bill Cahill

When I'm done with these last repairs, I'll take off my little test tube, mount chassis back in its' original cabinet, and, re connect original pix. tube, and, speaker. Then, I'll do final adjustments, and,  put back cover on.
I'm glad it's nearly done.
Bill Cahill

foots

Cool television Bill. I've wanted something similar for a long time. One of my great aun'ts had one in a spare room when I was around 9 or 10 back in the late 80s. It was a Philco (I think) that resembled an astronaut's helmet.
What really sucks now is that most good shows have been replaced by so-called reality shows, and they make me sick, so I don't watch much tv now.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Bill Cahill

And, that's why I collect, and, watch DVD's, and, video tapes of my favorite canceled, and, banned programs.
And, movies...
Right now some of my favorites include two seasons of Rocky, Bullwinkle, and, friends,
Felix the cat, Supercar, Hazel, The war of the worlds, It!, Them!, Gog, The day the earth stood still,
and, will soon have Amos 'n Andy on DVD.
Bill Cahill  ;D

Bill Cahill

I'm still having some issues with it, but, have set playing in cabinet now. Please see pictures.
Bill Cahill