News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

After much nail-biting my AE40 is here!

Started by Bridie, January 20, 2014, 12:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bridie

I am happy to report that my long-lost AE40 purchased through ebay has arrived safe and sound in Halifax and better still in one piece  ;D  PHEW!!  It's a lovely phone altogether. Will need some work.  The transmitter element is missing, the dial sticks, and the cord has to be replaced. But the seller never represented it as a working phone and I think I got it for a fair price, so that's okay.  I have no idea how old it is - maybe someone would have an idea?  I'll open it up in the next few days to see if there are any dates, although I'm sure I read somewhere AE didn't date their phones?  For now I'll clean and buff it and put it on the 1930s desk I bought last month.  Here are some photos  :D

Bridget

AE_Collector

AE 40's were made from about 1939 through the very late 50's. Since yours was made in the USA and the sticker says Chicago 7 as opposed to just Chicago, it is newer than 1943. Also since it does not say Northlake Illinois it is no newer than 1957. I am not sure that they made any AE40s in the USA after the AE plant moved to Northlake. I am led to believe that AE 40's were made in Canada until very close to 1960. Obviously this overlapped AE 80 production by several years.

Terry

WesternElectricBen

Looks nice, I cannot remember if either my AE 40's have any cracks, but I'm sure at least one does.

I can't figure out how to clean those up, black shoe polish, and novus 2, have not worked for me so far. Maybe I'm not patient enough, though tell me what you use to buff them out. That is of course, if you plan to restore it.

Ben

Contempra

Nice phone Bridget. Did you bought it from USA ?..finally, you received it  that's cool !....So many phones are beautiful from USA or other countries around the world and God says I like them. However, the prices  kill us . I mean the shipping from USA or elsewhere... yours seems to be in a great shape even if certain pièces are missing... ;)

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Contempra on January 20, 2014, 12:28:14 PM
Nice phone Bridget. Did you bought it from USA ?..finally, you received it  that's cool !....So many phones are beautiful from USA or other countries around the world and God says I like them. However, the prices  kill us . I mean the shipping from USA or elsewhere... yours seems to be in a great shape even if certain pièces are missing... ;)

Canada shipping, kills! I once shipped a 1955 500, that was refurbished, to Canada, and the shipping was more that what the guy paid for the phone.

Ben

Bridie

Terry, thanks a million for all that info.  Hopefully it's from the 40s.  I have phones from the 30s and 50s, so need a 40s phone  ;D

Ben, I'm relieved mine doesn't have any cracks. Was afraid that with all the traveling it's done the body would be cracked or broken.  Luckily the seller wrapped it up well.  The base gasket is cracked but actually looks better than the ebay photos.  I thought I would have to replace it but it's really not that bad.  I hope to get it in working order but it'll be a while before I tackle that.  My 1931 WE 202 comes first  ;D   For now I'm going to make it shiny and pretty.  Will definitely let you know what I use to buff it.  I've read on the forum that Avon Skin So Soft works a treat buffing up phones (I think Doug uses it?), and also mineral oil, I think it was Dave from PEI suggested.  Will double-check that.

Denis, I did buy it from the US.  The seller was in Chicago.  Shipping costs are absolutely brutal.  Ben, I hear ya about the shipping sometimes costing more than the actual item.  I've considered bidding on items but have been put off by the high shipping costs.  Sometimes it's worth it, though.

I'm so pleased this little ebay drama has come to an end and I've finally received my phone.  It's a stunner  :)

Bridget

AE_Collector

If you are looking for any more AE phones you should easily be able to find them on ebaY and already in Canada. The Canadian version of the AE 40 was made in Brockville Ontario.

Terry

Bridie

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 20, 2014, 10:04:11 PM
If you are looking for any more AE phones you should easily be able to find them on ebaY and already in Canada. The Canadian version of the AE 40 was made in Brockville Ontario.

Terry

Thanks Terry.  Once I get myself situated to get another phone, I'll look closer to home for AEs.
Bridget

dsk

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on January 20, 2014, 12:34:04 PM
Quote from: Contempra on January 20, 2014, 12:28:14 PM

Canada shipping, kills! I once shipped a 1955 500, that was refurbished, to Canada, and the shipping was more that what the guy paid for the phone.

Ben
You should try shipping to me, about $70 i guess!

The AE 40 are worth it. I have mine on my desk, nice sound, and the family has voted for that as the nicest we have.

An I used to say that AE just made cheap bad quality 8)

dsk

BDM

I personally agree on the bell sound. The AE40 has a more pleasing sound than the 300 or 500 series phones. Now that is simply a matter of opinion and no right or wrong here. The AE40s just sound nicer/smoother and not as "shocking" when the bell rings for me 8) ??? ;D
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

BDM

An I used to say that AE just made cheap bad quality 8)

dsk

I never thought that. For me they always seemed to approach the same issues similar, but different at times. I've read probably 100s of debates and arguments over the last 20+ years on AE vs WE equipment. Both had issues at one point or another and with one model or another. I know this, both RUST equally well! I think the biggest debate (or so I've read) is the fact AE produced so many phones in Bakelite, which of course is damaged easier than metal bodies over the long haul. Beyond that, it was in the interest of both to have fairly reliable equipment. That is probably an understatement
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI