News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Interesting 20AL number card

Started by cchaven, May 02, 2015, 09:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cchaven

I picked up a 20AL today, and it has an interesting number card on it, which is in great shape even though the overall finish isn't in very good shape on the transmitter or perch..in fact, I can't quite make out the markings on the perch and transmitter id plate.  The engraving on the base is clear though and has the 'Pat In USA' with the Jan 26 15 patent date. 

Attached is a picture of the number card.  This is the first one like this I've seen, even in photos.  Can anyone tell me more about it?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kdanvers2002/17346623942/

Thanks
Jeff

------------------

EDIT:  photo added for posterity

G-Man

Are you asking about the number-card or the number-cardholder?
If it is about the number-cardholder, it was one of several run of the mill styles that were used back in the day.

cchaven

I was asking about the number card style itself.  The holders I've seen before, as both my nickel plated 20-AL and my nickel plated 20-B have them. The number card style I've never seen though

Sargeguy

Nice!!! Both the card and holder are earlier versions of the one's more commonly seen.  Note that the holder has a slightly sharper angle at the bottom than the later versions.  The top part attaches to the ring at 10 and 2 o'clock, while in the newer version they attach at 11 and 1 o'clock. This type was used for a short period and they are highly sought after.  Good examples sell for $100 or more.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

cchaven

Thanks for the info.  The number card is a bit larger than the others.  Due to the condition of the finish on it, I would've otherwise bypassed the phone...but the interesting number card caught my eye.  It also has a curved drop hook for the receiver and the receiver is an unmarked 143.  The cap is simply marked "Property of American Telephone & Telegraph Co" along the outside edge...no patent dates.

Jeff