News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

5H Dial spins slow and hard....

Started by John S, July 02, 2013, 08:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

I have a 5H dial that was on a 302 phone.  When I turn the dial, its really hard to turn and spins really slow.  It does not have that ease to it.  I took it all part.  I am not sure what causing the issue to have to turn and return slow.  Anyone have this issue?  Everything looks good inside the dial.....

John

rdelius

The governer has locked up.Hiltz can fix it

LarryInMichigan

I would first give it some blasts of electronic contact cleaner.  It will likely dissolve whatever is causing it to stick.

Larry

Ktownphoneco

rdelius has probably hit the nail on the head.   To check to see if the governor clutch spring is seized to it's shaft, which is what it sounds like, insert the tip of your finger through one of the two openings on the top of the brass governor drum so that your finger stops the governor weights from turning, and then turn the finger wheel with the index finger of your other hand.     If the finger wheel is impossible, or very hard to turn once you've prevented the governor weights from moving, then the clutch spring which connects the governor shaft to the small driven gear, is either seized, at one end or the other or both.       Although the clutch spring was designed to allow slippage at both ends, it's usually at bottom end of the spring where it actually occurs. 
In order to properly fix the problem, the dial should be taken apart and serviced.
I service dials, but I'm in Canada.      If your in the U.S.A., it will save you a couple of "bucks" to send it to Steve Hiltz as "rdelius" suggested.   Steve a nice fellow to deal with, very knowledgeable and has been repairing dials for "e-ons".      Here's a link to web site :  http://www.navysalvage.com/   and a link to his "sending dials for service" instruction page :  http://navysalvage.com/repairsheet.html

If you feel like you might want to try freeing up the clutch spring yourself, let me know, and I'll explain the steps required.

Enjoy the rest of the day.

Jeff

Kenton K

On one of my 5h dials, the governor was too large to fit into the assembly. It was really tight. It would not return at all. I got the dial free by slotting a flat-head screwdriver through the holes on to the back of the governor. I pried it up so the governor had more wiggle room. Assembled it and it works great now.

Not sure if this was the best thing to do, but only one of my dials have had this problem.

Hope this helps!
-Kenton